cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
Correct me if im wrong, but, unless the 'lansweeper' server is put on a mirroring switch port on a main switch,
its not going to capture anything other than broadcast traffic that just happens to find its way near the lansweeper server.
non?

Is there a specific desired setup for this feature.

5 REPLIES 5
Tanglewood
Engaged Sweeper

It would be great if the lsagent (along with an install of npcap of course) could be nominated in the GUI for each vlan/site to capture this data and send to the LanSweeper server.

johnernestadam
Engaged Sweeper
I know this post is old but this is our solution.

Our deployment is 9 sites (9 scanning servers) and about 30 VLANs per site.

The addition of an additional dedicated NIC on the lansweeper server and connect it as a trunk port with allow all vlans.

I believe it is important to use a dedicated NIC because it will receive broadcast traffic from all vlans and so, could become quite busy (ie like not having vLANs).
Mr. Adam wrote:
I know this post is old but this is our solution.

Our deployment is 9 sites (9 scanning servers) and about 30 VLANs per site.

The addition of an additional dedicated NIC on the lansweeper server and connect it as a trunk port with allow all vlans.

I believe it is important to use a dedicated NIC because it will receive broadcast traffic from all vlans and so, could become quite busy (ie like not having vLANs).

thanks John
Rodney_Stowell
Engaged Sweeper II
Yeah I have noticed this issue, as I set it to log to see what I could capture. I have 13 VLANs in my 700,000 SQFT facility to handle all the hardware and needs and another 475,000 facility with 8 VLANs, but only revived info off the VLAN my server is on... kind of a rip if i have to have multiple servers setup on multiple VLANs. Would be nice to use the scanning targets settings to see what comes in on the VLANS I am scanning. I can not hook up 21 VLANs oh and i have a 3rd facility in another state that i monitor 4 of their VLANs also...

This is an awesome idea, but we need to be able to use the scanning targets we setup as Asset Radar scan locations or as stated it is pretty useless for large companies.
vqT4cDoP9iXyMZw
Champion Sweeper
danielm wrote:
Correct me if im wrong, but, unless the 'lansweeper' server is put on a mirroring switch port on a main switch,
its not going to capture anything other than broadcast traffic that just happens to find its way near the lansweeper server.
non?

Is there a specific desired setup for this feature.

That's my take on it as well. It's a 'sniffer' looking for broadcast traffic. So Asset Radar is only going to detect assets on the local segment the network adapter sits on. If you have a larger network of multiple VLANs, you'd need Asset Radar in each VLAN. It doesn't seem to be very useful unless you have a small flat network.