cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amrollz
Engaged Sweeper
Hi all,

We have recently started to use Lansweeper, and have found it very useful. I have created several IP Range Locations for our devices to sort themselves into. It worked, but something I believe is lacking now is an auto update feature. I assumed that when the asset was scanned again this field would change depending on if the assets IP address changed. Which of course, the IP address is updated in the "Network" section on the asset page, but the "IP Range Location" is not updated.

Can anyone provide some insight on this? Is it functioning as intended?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
amrollz
Engaged Sweeper
That is exactly what I am dealing with. I might have to push the agent down to our laptops to get around this issue.
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
Try having devices that sometimes are in your wireless IP range, sometimes in your LAN DHCP range, sometimes in your VPN range and more. It basically makes the IP info they return near useless. Thank heaven for LSAgent scanning in that case.
amrollz
Engaged Sweeper
Currently we have both Active Directory domain scanning, and on the weekends we have an IP range scan setup.

If I am understanding correctly you are saying that if a device is scanned during an IP range scan then the information should all be correct, is that correct?

If so, does that apply to devices that were discovered through contact with the domain controller?

I will add one of my devices in question to a single target IP address scanning to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper uses Netbios name is certain situations (using the rescan button and some scanning targets).

If you scans with an IP range, it scans on the IP. I would presume than when it uses NetBios name it will still update the main IP address with the IP address that name resolves to.

You could check what the name resolves to by using the testconnection.exe tool in the Lansweeper folder and doing a test.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper looks at the asset's main IP address for the IP location. This is listed at the top of the asset page under the asset's name.

This should also be the IP address the asset was scanned with.
Esben.D wrote:
Lansweeper looks at the asset's main IP address for the IP location. This is listed at the top of the asset page under the asset's name.

This should also be the IP address the asset was scanned with.

I thought that lansweeper would scan the device by its DNS name? And the IP that is returned at the top of the assets page is simply an address that the device has used before, and is still "pingable"(though the address doesn't belong to the device in question).

Basically if I go to certain asset's pages, I can look at the network section, find the "true" IP address and remote into the device with that, but I cannot remote into it with the device at the top of the page.

The IP address at the top of the page is still "pingable"(as the green light indicates), but it does not belong to that device any longer, rather another device somewhere on the corporate network.

I would like to post screenshots, but for security purposes I cannot.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks