cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mluck94
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

In our organization we've implemented OpenSSH servers on Windows 10+ devices for remote management tasks using the natively supported OpenSSH server package through DISM. Because of this Lansweeper has duplicated all of the Windows assets in Active Directory with a new asset tagged as a Linux device simply because SSH is open. Obviously, this is not correct, and this duplicate reporting is causing clutter/confusion in reports. Is there any way to merge these or hide the mislabeled assets?

Thank you
2 REPLIES 2
bmercer
Engaged Sweeper II
I doubt this is possible, and I personally would not want such an option, because it's likely to cause major chaos in a lot of environments. There's a request to allow manual merging.

I believe your best option will be to update your scanning targets or scanning credentials to exclude these windows machines.

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for implementing openssh on windows clients instead of using existing remote management tools? Seems like an unnecessary extra risk to me.
Bill Mercer wrote:
I doubt this is possible, and I personally would not want such an option, because it's likely to cause major chaos in a lot of environments. There's a request to allow manual merging.

I believe your best option will be to update your scanning targets or scanning credentials to exclude these windows machines.

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for implementing openssh on windows clients instead of using existing remote management tools? Seems like an unnecessary extra risk to me.

Updating the scanning targets could work, but we have a myriad of devices across the org so it isn't really an option for us to omit certain credentials since we do a lot of scanning by IP range.

Also, we are using SSH with public key auth and Kerberos via gssapi as opposed to options like WinRM and psexec which are commonly targeted by malicious threats. So as long as your AD user is authorized via private key, it's as simple as doing an "ssh -K [hostname]"