cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hendrik_VE
Champion Sweeper III

Does anyone have experience with the compatibility of Lansweeper V7 Scanservers vs a Lansweeper V10 instance (SQL DB, Web Console)?

I'm planning of updating my old (but very stable 😉) Lansweeper V7 network, having 56 scanservers. Some of them are still running older .NET versions, and as they're running on older Windows versions and not managed by myself, they are more difficult to update them to V10.

Therefore I'd like to know if there will be any issues when I have a Lansweeper V10 installations with a couple of old V7 scanservers. Will they keep running and inserting data in the V10 DB, or will they totally stop working?

5 REPLIES 5
Hendrik_VE
Champion Sweeper III

Thanks.

When updating from V6 to V7, I didn't encounter any problems during the time I had a 'mixed' environment. In ideal circumstances, it will take me a couple of days until all scanservers will be updated from v7 to v10, so I hope it doesn't break my DB. Or do you advise to shut down all scanservices during the update?
The Knowledge Base doesn't say anything about this.

Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

It's not strictly necessary to shut down all scan services during the update.  When updating your 56 scan servers, do make sure that the first scanning server that you update has a stable connection to your Lansweeper database as that scanning server will be responsible for updating your Lansweeper database.

OK, but could you define "scanning servers on version 7 will probably not work as intended on a version 10 database"? These scanning servers will (try to) inject data in a modified DB. Last thing I want to have is a corrupted DB.

Of course, I will make a full DB backup before the migration.

Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

We have not tested such a setup, so we cannot clearly define all issues that you will be encountering. While such a setup should not cause any database corruption, we do expect scanning to fail with lots of various errors in the logs. If you see that occurring, it might be wise to shut down these outdated scanning servers as they will just use up resources while not being able to scan.

Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

From a Lansweeper tech support view, this type of setup is untested and unsupported. So if it could be avoided, it should be.

A lot of new features were introduced between version 7 and version 10. These features changed the underlying database structure as well, so scanning servers on version 7 will probably not work as intended on a version 10 database and potentially stop working altogether.