cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TJolley
Engaged Sweeper
Is Exchange scanning a separate license in Lansweeper 7? I think I have everything configured correctly, but I'm still getting "PowerShell Connection Failed"
9 REPLIES 9
crashff
Champion Sweeper
My guess is you probably don't have the Exchange powershell module loaded on the machine running Lansweeper.
crashff wrote:
My guess is you probably don't have the Exchange powershell module loaded on the machine running Lansweeper.

Is that one of the requirements? It's not on the list.
TJolley wrote:
crashff wrote:

Is that one of the requirements? It's not on the list.

Yes, they are requirements but somehow not on the list. I had exactly the same error so I raised a ticket at Lansweeper.

The additional requirements are:
- CredSSP enabled (Enable-WSManCredSSP) on Exchange -> This will solve the common 'Powershell command failed error'
- Exchange Managament Snap-In installed at the scanning server -> This will solve the next error 'Get-Mailbox command is not found'.

Personally a little bit too much for me. CredSSP is disabled by default for a reason, I think.

I asked LanSweeper if they could make it work with the remote session way, that works flawlessly on every PC without CredSSP or Snap-Ins.
codde
Engaged Sweeper II
I asked LanSweeper if they could make it work with the remote session way, that works flawlessly on every PC without CredSSP or Snap-Ins.

Any update for this?
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
codde wrote:

Any update for this?

The reason we currently use CredSSP:
We opted for CredSSP rather than Kerberos as the primary authentication method as CredSSP allows us to perform Exchange/PowerShell scanning across domains, even when there is no trust. That said though, due to feedback received, our development team are currently researching implementing Kerberos authentication instead for PowerShell scanning in a future release. For now though, if you'd like to scan Exchange information, CredSSP will need to be enabled both on your scanning server and Exchange server.

The reason we load in the Exchange Snap-in:
PowerShell (Exchange) scanning was implemented in such a way that it can be used in the future as a base for further PowerShell scanning. If we implemented PowerShell scanning in such a way that it loaded an Exchange-specific session, this would limit the data that could be retrieved using this scanning method. The current objective is to in the future add further scanning of information via PowerShell and potentially allow the usage of custom scripts to retrieve custom data. The database tables that store PowerShell data were also designed with this objective in mind.
codde wrote:

Any update for this?

Not yet they passed the question to the dev team yesterday and the answer could take some days they said 🙂
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
coffee2000 wrote:
Yes, they are requirements but somehow not on the list.

I'll take a look and follow up on this so it gets added if needed.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
An easy way to check if you have access is to navigate to Configuration\Your Lansweeper License. If you do not have the new features it will list them there.

Assuming you do have access (otherwise you would not get the error anyway), I'd recommend going over the requirements and checking those: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/scanning-exchange-server-mailboxes/
Charles.X wrote:
An easy way to check if you have access is to navigate to Configuration\Your Lansweeper License. If you do not have the new features it will list them there.

Assuming you do have access (otherwise you would not get the error anyway), I'd recommend going over the requirements and checking those: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/scanning-exchange-server-mailboxes/

I've checked that list, and everything seems to check out. Is there any more info I can get other than "PowerShell connection failed" from the scanning server? A log, maybe?