cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickjf
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi,

I'm searching for guidelines on installing Lansweeper database onto the AWS RDS (SQL) instance. I am trying to install the SQL database on an RDS SQL instance, but the wizard is asking me for a traditional server. I suspect it might be a firewall issue, because I can't Telnet on port 1433 which is the listening port. Both the server and the SQL DB are in the same ip subnet and VPC if that helps.

Does Lansweeper support installing the database on AWS RDS at all? I can't find anything in the documentation and Search is not working, because search strings need a minimum of 4 characters and therefore SQL, RDS and AWS don't work ...

EDIT01: Making progress - it was because my Security Group didn't have port 1433 open. Added port 1433 being used for all the security group for this application and I can now connect to it during set up. NExt problem is that I'm installing as a Domain Admin and being told I don't have the right access level - presumable on the SQL database instance.
EDIT02: Typo in description field.

If anyone's got any tips I'd be very appreciative....

M.
4 REPLIES 4
ali-alhammadi
Engaged Sweeper II

I know it's been a long time now but here's the complete guide.

Deploying Lansweeper in AWS Using An RDS Database ... - Lansweeper Community - 71428

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
The credentials you have to give the installer need to have the Sysadmin role unfortunately. The installer checks if the credential has that role as part of the requirements.

Restoring the database and creating the user could work as long as you point Lansweeper to the correct database after. The steps would be similar to this KB article: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/moving-your-database-to-a-different-server/
mickjf
Engaged Sweeper II
This doesn't look promising. AWS documentation doesn't support assigning a user the SysAdmin role.

AWS - Microsoft SQL Server on Amazon RDS
Ref: Microsoft SQL Server Security
The Microsoft SQL Server database engine uses role-based security. The master user name you use when you create a DB instance is a SQL Server Authentication login that is a member of the processadmin, public, and setupadmin fixed server roles.

Any user who creates a database is assigned to the db_owner role for that database and has all database-level permissions except for those that are used for backups. Amazon RDS manages backups for you.

The following server-level roles are not currently available in Amazon RDS:

bulkadmin
dbcreator
diskadmin
securityadmin
serveradmin
sysadmin

And Lansweeper's documentation is pretty clear:

The user performing the database installation must be a member of your SQL Server's sysadmin server role. When the installation has completed, the Lansweeper service and web console will connect to the database with a newly created SQL user called lansweeperuser, which only has access to the Lansweeper database.

So does anyone know if there is a way to install Lansweeper (even in an unsupported mode) without the SQL SysAdmin role during the install that I could try? If it's only to create a user account and set up a database, maybe I can install it locally and then repoint it after restoring the DB and creating the LansweeperUser manually? I'll give that a shot and let you know how I get on.

Mick.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Hi Mick,

I wish I could give you any hints, but unfortunately I have no experience with setting up Lansweeper on AWS RDS. As far as installation requirements go, you will need to provide Lansweeper with SA credentails to the database so it can create the lansweeperdb and the user.

If you do figure it out, please share it. It will be valuable information for others trying the same.