cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpdcomputercent
Engaged Sweeper II
I'm trying to create an installer package to install Windows 10 on several old Windows 7 machines we still have hanging around in our asset inventory. I downloaded another installer package that was on the Lansweeper Installers page, and modified the script a bit to use the particular installer that we're using. After waiting over 4 hours for the script to finish running, it failed to actually do anything. The script is just two steps.

Check if the installer file exists.
Run the setup file.
Then reboot after 15 minutes.

It ran through everything. I could see the application running on the test PC, and it basically ran until the script time expired, and then rebooted, as it was supposed to, but after reboot, everything was exactly as before. Still Windows 7. Perhaps this can't be done silently?
2 REPLIES 2
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Ok this is what we do for the upgrade.

Note I do this on my Windows 10 machine, but download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
Run that and download the ISO.
Mount that ISO (Windows 10 natively supports this) or use 7zip to extract without mounting.
Copy those files to a new server location for deployment.

Now the first thing we do is disable Fast Boot.
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /v HiberbootEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

We then disable the battery sleeping
cmd.exe /c powercfg -x -standby-timeout-dc 0

Followed by powered sleeping
cmd.exe /c powercfg -x -standby-timeout-ac 0

This is basically to ensure the machine stays online while we deploy. We have a group policy that sets the power settings back later, but if you don't have that you might want to set your power settings back afterwards.

Now the fun part we deploy Windows 10 (this is the silent install doesn't display anything to the user or reboot, it waits for the user to do the normal shutdown etc, then does the upgrade.
"{PackageShare}\Microsoft\Windows 10 v21H1\setup.exe" /auto upgrade /quiet /noreboot /DynamicUpdate disable /Compat IgnoreWarning

We also have another deployment we use where the /noreboot is excluded, this is used by IT when we upgrade a bunch of machines out of ours and they can reboot as soon as needed etc.

Hopefully this helps you in the right direction.

If you get any that fail etc, it would be good to run the following and review the logs for failures.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag
CyberCitizen wrote:
Ok this is what we do for the upgrade.

Note I do this on my Windows 10 machine, but download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
Run that and download the ISO.
Mount that ISO (Windows 10 natively supports this) or use 7zip to extract without mounting.
Copy those files to a new server location for deployment.

Now the first thing we do is disable Fast Boot.
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /v HiberbootEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

We then disable the battery sleeping
cmd.exe /c powercfg -x -standby-timeout-dc 0

Followed by powered sleeping
cmd.exe /c powercfg -x -standby-timeout-ac 0

This is basically to ensure the machine stays online while we deploy. We have a group policy that sets the power settings back later, but if you don't have that you might want to set your power settings back afterwards.

Now the fun part we deploy Windows 10 (this is the silent install doesn't display anything to the user or reboot, it waits for the user to do the normal shutdown etc, then does the upgrade.
"{PackageShare}\Microsoft\Windows 10 v21H1\setup.exe" /auto upgrade /quiet /noreboot /DynamicUpdate disable /Compat IgnoreWarning

We also have another deployment we use where the /noreboot is excluded, this is used by IT when we upgrade a bunch of machines out of ours and they can reboot as soon as needed etc.

Hopefully this helps you in the right direction.

If you get any that fail etc, it would be good to run the following and review the logs for failures.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

Thanks! I will give this a try.