cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NCI_Matt
Engaged Sweeper II

So I am needing to make a report that will show all the computers that have a particular software installed and it's version is less than 1.3.24 

I'm aware of how to make one that uses NOT LIKE, but in this case I have users that are also beta testing higher versions and I don't want them included in this report. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KevinA-REJIS
Champion Sweeper II

I believe you can use the < symbol in place of NOT LIKE and it should work. One problem is that the formatting of the software version can affect what shows up. For example, 1.3.3 through 1.3.9 might not show up since SQL will consider those bigger than 2, whereas 1.3.03 through 1.3.09 would. There are ways in the report code to change the data to work correctly though.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KevinA-REJIS
Champion Sweeper II

I believe you can use the < symbol in place of NOT LIKE and it should work. One problem is that the formatting of the software version can affect what shows up. For example, 1.3.3 through 1.3.9 might not show up since SQL will consider those bigger than 2, whereas 1.3.03 through 1.3.09 would. There are ways in the report code to change the data to work correctly though.

Expanding on/clarifying the comparison caveat, it's not an SQL issue that causes potential discrepancies but the fact that version "numbers" are actually text strings, so comparisons are simple left-to-right operations, exactly as you would compare two words. This means that "1.3.9" is greater than "1.3.10" because "9" > "1". Likewise, considering the recent browser version bump to hundreds, "99" > "102" because "9" > "1".

Thanks very much! In my case this worked well. Good to know about the potential SQL issues though.