cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helpdesk1
Engaged Sweeper II
In fact our LS agents do not update themselves automatically...

In our report, all versions are still indicated with 7.x. But we have already installed Lansweeper Server 8.20.x ...
Is there a wiki and / or a howto on how the clients (all Windows) update themselves automatically?

as hoanv9 already mentioned in a post in 2018:
BTW, for normal windows, the user don't have the permission to install software by themself. Pls also consider about that.

Please help about this, because we have hundreds of Clients...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Hi, just to address some concerns and questions:

LsAgent not updating automatically

LsAgent for Windows can update itself when scanning direct to server or via the relay. However, keep in mind that the LsAgent version is not directly related to the Lansweeper version. Our latest LsAgent will in most cases not have the same version number as Lansweeper. As the OP described a version 8.2, this version corresponds with a 7.2 LsAgent version, you can find the list of Lansweeper versions and their corresponding LsAgent client version on our changelog page.

The latest LsAgents were not always immediately updateable via the relay, but they were when connecting direct to server. This is because of a delay on our part for making the agent available on the relay server itself.

LsAgent removing itself (from add/remove programs)

This was a bug in LsAgent release version 8.4.100.142 and 8.4.100.144. It has been resolved in the latest version, 8.100.149. This version can be automatically updated to by updating Lansweeper to version 8.4.110.3.

Keep in mind that LsAgent didn't actually delete or uninstall itself. What happened is that the service cleaned up its own registry entries due to a version mismatch. Outside of that the agent was fully functional.

LsAgent installing .NET Framework 4.8

As of LsAgent version 8.x (corresponding Lansweeper version 8.4.100), the minimum .NET Framework required for the agent is 4.8. This means that:
  • Some operating systems are no longer supported, e.g. vanilla Windows 8, very early Windows 10 builds
  • When a lower .NET framework is found, the agent tries to update .NET before updating itself (connecting to microsoft.com)
  • A reboot may be required post installation before the agent is functional. This reboot requirement is detected by Microsoft's installer and is dependent on whether or not updated libraries were in use at the time of installation.

We published this updated .NET requirement in our knowledgebase and specifically mentioned it in our changelog when version 8.4.100.9 was released:

Changed: LAN-8239 To strengthen security and to allow for the implementation of new scanning technologies, LsAgent for Windows now requires .NET Framework 4.8 to be installed on the client machine. If not already present, LsAgent will automatically try to install .NET 4.8.

https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/lsagent-installation-requirements/

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
dbsooner09
Engaged Sweeper III
I am seeing this as well. I initially pushed this out via the deployment in Lansweeper. Should I just replace the installer in my "packageshare" with the most recent and push it out again to all my clients? I'm still curious why it's not updating if it's supposed to be.
Lindner
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,
I just copied the new version of LS Agent into the client folder, without updating the server.
(...\Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Client)
After only a few hours there were a couple of Notebooks updated.
In the meantime after two weeks i have about 800 Agents updated...
WANOLOIS
Engaged Sweeper II
I updated the server yesterday and I can see only 1 computer updated, and that is because the user had to go to the office and had line of sight to the server. The rest are working from home, Azure AD joined laptops, and the agent is not updating at all....