cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelpGy
Engaged Sweeper
This is my first time working on deployments with lansweeper and it seems straight forward but I'm having difficulties. Deployment ver 6.0.230.4

Command=

\\server1\DefaultPackageShare$\Installers\install_ver2.exe

Deployment ended 'incorrect function' (I know a little vague) Now I know the permissions are correct on the share as I left the default 'everyone' to have read / execute. I tried running the install as the system account as well as scanning credentials (scanning is admin on win 10 pc). Still no dice. Now I do see the setup exe in the task manager but it never seems to progress and certainly nothing pops on screen. I did this exe without a silent switch just to test. Also this is an upgraded version to existing software. "ver1"

Is there something clear I'm missing?
9 REPLIES 9
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
You can also do a test with testconnection.exe, which can be found in Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Actions on your Lansweeper server. Perform the test from your Lansweeper server to the client machine, submit the same credential used by Lansweeper to scan the client.

This can at least help you rule out basic connectivity and permission issues.

As for software, make sure the parameters you're using work.

You can also test your deployment package steps. For testing the commands:
  • Copy the Result command of the failed deployment package.
  • Use the exact path defined under Deployment\Security options.
  • Paste the command into the command prompt of a machine where the deployment failed.
  • This should help you identify the cause of the issue. Only when the command works in Command Prompt will it work in Lansweeper as well.
  • If the command worked then we recommend that you check that the command has been added correctly to your package and the parameter are also correctly added to the parameter field.
If a step works in the Command Prompt, it should work in the deployment package.
KrisNelson
Champion Sweeper
For deployments (both installing and uninstalling) you usually need to use switches to get through the them. Especially if you are doing the installs as a service account. If you are using the currently logged on user then it will actually display the prompts, but this generally requires the users to be admins.

For uninstalls, you can also find these commands in the registry.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
-or-
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Search through those for the software your working with and generally there will be a 'UninstallString' or 'QuietUninstallString' key that has the switches you would need.

-Kris
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Yes, that very well could be. Some require special parameters, or an uninstaller first (especially some AV, etc...)

you could try adding a WMI command to uninstall the software (testing on your PC first of course hehe)

command:
WMIC

product where name="whatever" call uninstall

reference: http://pcsolutions-alternative.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-uninstall-programs-using-command.html

BUT... it's been a while since I ran something not silent/quiet... and I don't really use deployment in LS anymore... so I'd also try the silent/quiet switch, if there is one.
HelpGy
Engaged Sweeper
Thank you everyone. I have been through the list, remote registry is turned on. My exe shows up with two process id in task manager but as stated nothing happens and i'm not prompted by anything. I am not attempting any switches at this time just want the basic application to install. I have a previous version of the software installed could this be some indication of that needing to be removed first?

EDIT: I did let it run the full 15min and error changed to timeout.
KrisNelson
Champion Sweeper
Usually when an exe sits in the task manager doing nothing it's because it's popped up a dialog box for the user it was run as (in this case your admin account). Since it's not actually popping up you can't respond to it so it just sits there.

I would run the same command in your deployment in a admin command window so that I could see if all the switches were correct. There may also be the need to uninstall or stop the previous version which a switch just can't handle.

-Kris
Squack_the_Duck
Engaged Sweeper II
HelpGy wrote:

Is there something clear I'm missing?

Did you go through this list?

https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/deployment-requirements/

Make sure remote registry service is running and configure it through a GPO then you're not running around your office like a baffoon changing the machines one by one. 😉
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Just for grins and giggles, try renaming the .exe's file name to less than 8 characters, and try again.

JacobH wrote:
Just for grins and giggles, try renaming the .exe's file name to less than 8 characters, and try again.

Oh jeez - well i'm glad you suggested to do that because fool me thought because their was deployment action already setup the LsAgent would be already in the default package share - it wasn't lol

Anyway - better logging messages should have provided this info. tsk.

It worked by the way without renaming
Squack_the_Duck
Engaged Sweeper II
I am having exactly the same problem actually and just came to make a similar post.

I have all the prerequisites in place as, my first deployment was going to be LsAgent actually and it proper kept falling over itself, but could deploy the application without a hitch using the free version of PDQDeploy which is embarrassing for you guys becaue their inventory and deployment sofwtare was the alternative I looked at before choosing Lansweeper.

Example error message below fron lansweeper log..

Result: Deployment ended: Incorrect function. Stop(Failure). Credential: (abc\stuvxyz). ShareCredential: (stuvxyz).
Command: "\\server\DefaultPackageShare$\Installers\LsAgent-windows.exe" --mode unattended --server 192.168.1.235 --port 9524 --agentkey [my actual agent key] 6.0.230.4

not really helpful error messages unfortunately 😞

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now