cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peted74
Engaged Sweeper
All,

Seeking out guidance from the IT professionals on this forum.

I am an IT technician at a small-medium sized company. The IT department itself is not that big with only 3 people in the department. Myself the IT technician; my colleague who is the Sr System Admin; and our manager who is also the purchasing manager for the company.

We recently put in a purchase order for USB drives and spare desktop/laptop memory to have on hand in case we ever need to use it. Our manager requested that we register the memory sticks and USB drives in Lansweeper and manage them through Lansweeper. He is wanting us to keep track of who gets which memory or USB drive and to have Lansweeper keep track of it. Is this possible in Lansweeper? Is managing such items even a thing in the IT field? I feel like implementing such a request will not only use up a license that can be used for more important assets, but it is also a huge time waste for myself and colleague to manage and track.

Our manager's thought process for this is for us to create a unique identifier for each item and then catalog it into Lansweeper and then keep track of who or what device gets the memory or USB drive. If we do figure out a way to make this work would we not have to go to each computer in the building and "catalog" each stick of memory? Why stop there? Who is to say that he doesn't want other things cataloged and managed in Lansweeper such as keyboards/mouse, power adapters, usb cables, hard drives, wifi adapters, etc.

I will admit that I am relatively new in the industry and have only been working in the IT field for about 3 years. I know I have a lot to learn and I am very eager to learn as much as I can especially on how to make Lansweeper a tool that makes our job easier.

Thank you all for you help.

2 REPLIES 2
vqT4cDoP9iXyMZw
Champion Sweeper
It's certainly possible, as easy as Assets > New Asset. For USB storage you could use the external disk or memory stick types.

However, to the question of should: I'd suggest creating assets to track the USB storage, but not the extra RAM. As long as the computers are scanned by Lansweeper, they'll report the memory expansion so you can report on it (see the Computer: Memory Changes report for example). You could use the Comments field on the asset to document additional details.
vqT4cDoP9iXyMZwoDUWU wrote:
It's certainly possible, as easy as Assets > New Asset. For USB storage you could use the external disk or memory stick types.

However, to the question of should: I'd suggest creating assets to track the USB storage, but not the extra RAM. As long as the computers are scanned by Lansweeper, they'll report the memory expansion so you can report on it (see the Computer: Memory Changes report for example). You could use the Comments field on the asset to document additional details.

Thank you for the reply and advice. I believe management is wanting us to use Lansweeper as check-in/check-out system IT related items, so I will definitely give this a try. Regarding the memory the whole reasoning to track each memory stick as an asset has me perplexed. I agree that Lansweeper will keep track of memory changes and I have shown my manager that, but he still insists on the memory sticks being cataloged in Lansweeper with their own asset tags. For now I will use the comment fields as suggested and in the future we will simply order computes with "extra" memory installed since he only seems to care about spare memory getting tagged and managed.

Thank you and I greatly appreciate all your help.