cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darius
Engaged Sweeper
Hello.
i did not found any information if there is any possible way to change Lansweeper's ping type? I mean if there is any way to ping asset not by NetBios name but using IP address?
2 REPLIES 2
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
There is no way to change it. Different scanning methods do use different ways to ping. For example, when scanning using an IP range, it will ping on IP. When going to an asset's page and pressing the rescan button, it uses NetBIOS.
Esben.D wrote:
There is no way to change it. Different scanning methods do use different ways to ping. For example, when scanning using an IP range, it will ping on IP. When going to an asset's page and pressing the rescan button, it uses NetBIOS.

Does it really or does it use DNS? In a windows network the only true "NetBIOS" names (that is, names in the NBT cache) are gathered via the browse master service which only gets them from the local network. Are you sure you don't mean to say that it pings the FQHN via DNS? I have to regularly retrain users to type wack, wack, servername in the top window of FileMangler to get access to the shares on servers they want which are on large multi-subnet networks because "the server doesn't show up in Network nayyyyberhood"

I realize your probably using an abstraction API but "NetBIOS" has got to be one of the most sloppily and overused terms in networking these days. It can mean anything you want!!!!

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now