cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sebouh
Engaged Sweeper
I wrote the following query to display all versions of Adobe Flash Player that are not the latest version:

SELECT dbo.tblADComputers.Computername, dbo.tblADComputers.OperatingSystem, dbo.tblADComputers.OU, Query.Software, Query.Version
FROM dbo.tblADComputers LEFT OUTER JOIN
(SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT tblADComputers_1.OU, tblADComputers_1.Computername, dbo.tblSoftware.softwareName AS Software,
dbo.tblSoftware.softwareVersion AS Version, dbo.tblSoftware.SoftwarePublisher AS Publisher
FROM dbo.tblSoftware RIGHT OUTER JOIN
dbo.tblComputers ON dbo.tblComputers.Computername = dbo.tblSoftware.ComputerName RIGHT OUTER JOIN
dbo.tblADComputers AS tblADComputers_1 ON tblADComputers_1.Computername = dbo.tblComputers.Computername
GROUP BY tblADComputers_1.OU, tblADComputers_1.Computername, dbo.tblSoftware.softwareName, dbo.tblSoftware.softwareVersion,
dbo.tblSoftware.SoftwarePublisher
HAVING (dbo.tblSoftware.softwareName LIKE 'Adobe Flash%')) AS Query ON dbo.tblADComputers.Computername = Query.Computername
WHERE (NOT (Query.Version = '10.0.45.2'))

The problem I have is that Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX reports in Lansweeper as version 10.0 instead of the full version number 10.0.45.2. Adobe Flash Player 10 Plug-in reports properly. Is this a problem with Lansweeper or with Adobe Flash Player? When I check the version of the ActiveX one in Add/Remove Programs it shows the full version number. Where is Lansweeper grabbing the version info?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks
Sebouh
10 REPLIES 10
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Same logic will be in 4.0
For security updates to be sure you need to scan the actual file.
sebouh
Engaged Sweeper
Thank you for your help. With the logic the way it is, it isn't very convenient when you are trying to track actual version numbers for programs that need frequent updates because of security vulnerabilities.

Will the logic be the same in 4.0?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The versionmajor and minor should be REG_SZ according to the specifications.
sebouh
Engaged Sweeper
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look to do it by looking for the OCX/EXE.

While Lansweeper appears to be using the logic you described, there seems to be an exception. I found this software installed on a computer that Lansweeper reports as version 3.8.139 however it has a VersionMajor/VersionMinor keys. The only difference is that one is a String value, the other a DWORD value. It ignores one, but not the other?

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I think a solution for your problem would be to scan for the ocx of exe file and create a report based on this value.
It will be more accurate than add/remove programs
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The logic is: first majorversion, minorversion
if these don't exist use displayversion.
sebouh
Engaged Sweeper
The registry entry is attached. I think I see the problem. Lansweeper appears to be using the VersionMajor/VersionMinor keys instead of the DisplayVersion key.

Sebouh
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you check this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Find the correct key and upload a screenshot.
sebouh
Engaged Sweeper
Add/Remove programs shows 10.0.45.2 when I expand Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX and click "Click here for support information".

Here are the versions reporting into Lansweeper. Clearly a majority show 10.0 when they are indeed running the newer releases.

Software Version Total
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX 10.0 1340
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX 10.0.12.36 54
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX 10.0.2.54 9
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX 10.0.22.87 10
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX 10.0.32.18 2

I can grab some screen shots if that will help.

Sebouh