cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdmJLovejoy
Champion Sweeper
Not able to instruct lstrigger to use a particular scan server when more than one scan server is used in Enterprise Edition. There needs to be a parameter to target a specific scan server. ie...

cmd.exe /K {actionpath}lstrigger.exe {LSDB Server} { ScanServer } {computer} {domain}

For example:
{LSDB Server} = Lansweeper Database server. Can be used as currently is, full UNC path.

{ScanServer} = Scan Server related to an AD Site (As in the Configurator) , or each host gets related to a scan server in the database. (Column in a table) Could be an editable entry in the DB like "ComputerScannedBy"

Am I missing something?

Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim Lovejoy __________________________________________________________________________________________________ James W. Lovejoy | IBM - Cloud Managed Services Delivery | Infrastructure Architect (Windows Server ...
5 REPLIES 5
AdmJLovejoy
Champion Sweeper
Cross-forest testing (with no Trust established) passed using the SA" Lansweeperuser" account only to deploy the service. Of course the SQL server must be in both SQL and Windows Authentication mode for this to work.

Testing workgroup mode servers next.
Thanks, Jim Lovejoy __________________________________________________________________________________________________ James W. Lovejoy | IBM - Cloud Managed Services Delivery | Infrastructure Architect (Windows Server ...
AdmJLovejoy
Champion Sweeper
The quick answer would be that each ScanServer report to the DB that "I scanned this computer" for each computer recorded.

For computers in AD, using "Active Scanning" along with an "AD Site", appears to solve the issue. I'm currently testing if this is true for cross-forest AD computers.

The major issue I see arises for computers that are not members of an AD domain (Workgroup Mode). I'm setting up a test to use IP Scanning for servers that are in workgroup mode. But there still needs to be a way for each computer to be related to a ScanServer.

One possibility would be, the ScanServer that found the computer with IP Scanning would be best suited to report to the DB that "I found this computer, and I own the scanning of this computer".

Any thoughts?

Note: This possibly solves part 1 of the problem. To address Part 2, there still needs to be a {ScanServer} variable to be used with lstrigger.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I see what you mean.
Any idea how the database knows which computers he can or can't scan?

Maybe you can create a vbs script and in the vbscript you can determine the scanserverA by iprange, site, name, ...
You can then pass parameters to the script and launch lstrigger with the correct parameter.
AdmJLovejoy
Champion Sweeper
Sorry about that, I mixed up lstrigger, and lsclient.

What I'm pointing out is that there appears to be no way to target a scan server this way.

For instance, Host(A) can only communicate with ScanServer(A), and Host(B) can only communicate with ScanServer(B).

Now, at the web site, within Host(A)'s "Action Screen", you click "Trigger Scan (P)". Scanning is triggered as expected. with the following...

"cmd.exe /K {actionpath}lstrigger.exe ScanServerA {computer}{domain}"

ScanServer(A) scans Host(A) successfully.

Now you're at Host(B) 's "Action Screen" and you click "Trigger Scan (P)". Because of the static command above, ScanServer(A) is told to scan Host(B), but because ScanServer(A) cannot communicate with Host(B), scanning Host(B) fails. To scan Host(B) successfully, ScanServer(B) must be told to scan Host(B).

Am I missing something?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The first parameter for lstrigger is the scanning server, the parameter you enter here will be performing the scan.

lstrigger "servername" "computer" "domain"