cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gkarasik
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

I'm needing some help: I've just installed SQL Express 2008 and Lasweeper free on a Server 2003/SP2 member server joined to SBS 2003/Premium domain. The SBS is dual-homed and is using ISA 2004 as a firewall. I have created an ISA rule opening port 9524 throughout the network, and Windows Firewall is turned off everywhere (by policy). We have 25 XP/Pro/SP3 workstations.

Trying to scan results in an "RPC Server unavailable" error message from workstations and server (including the install member server), and I am unable to scan the SBS server at all. I can successfully scan the workstations (although from here too I get "RPC Server unavailable). Using the "showresults" switch results in a "good-connection" prompt.

I've looked at the knowledgebase for a solution to the RPC problem but haven't found anything that works. I'd like to get this error solved, but more important is to be able to scan the SBS server itself.

GaryK
27 REPLIES 27
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Is 10.0.0.2 the correct IP of the server?
If yes please post the output of "netsh firewall show state"
Lansweeper wrote:

Run this command from the lansweeper server (10.0.0.3) or from the SBS (10.0.0.2)?

GaryK
gkarasik wrote:
Lansweeper wrote:

This is from the Lansweeper server (the firewall service is not running on the SBS box):

Firewall status:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile = Domain
Operational mode = Disable
Exception mode = Enable
Multicast/broadcast response mode = Enable
Notification mode = Enable
Group policy version = None
Remote admin mode = Enable

Ports currently open on all network interfaces:
Port Protocol Version Program
1064 TCP IPv4 C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
135 TCP IPv4 C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
137 UDP IPv4 (null)
139 TCP IPv4 (null)
138 UDP IPv4 (null)
1226 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
9524 UDP IPv4 (null)
13621 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Undelete\UdServe.exe
9524 TCP IPv4 (null)
2382 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
1434 UDP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
445 TCP IPv4 (null)
500 UDP IPv4 C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
5633 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
1701 UDP IPv4 (null)
1723 TCP IPv4 (null)
42735 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\TmListen.exe
10000 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
6101 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe
6106 TCP IPv4 C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe

Additional ports open on Local:
Port Protocol Version
42735 TCP Any

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
gkarasik wrote:
the firewall service is not running on the SBS box

If the firewall service isn't running it must be the ISA server blocking access.
Lansweeper wrote:
gkarasik wrote:
the firewall service is not running on the SBS box

If the firewall service isn't running it must be the ISA server blocking access.

I knew that when I wrote to you at the beginning of this thread. After all this back-and-forth, the best support you can provide is to tell me what I already knew in the first place?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
gkarasik wrote:
I knew that when I wrote to you at the beginning of this thread. After all this back-and-forth, the best support you can provide is to tell me what I already knew in the first place?

According to your posts the ISA logging didn't show anything?
Lansweeper wrote:
gkarasik wrote:

According to your posts the ISA logging didn't show anything?

Correct. I have turned on real-time logging, and there is nothing in the ISA logs that shows any blocking of any ports relating to the Lansweeper client.

GaryK
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
gkarasik wrote:
Correct. I have turned on real-time logging, and there is nothing in the ISA logs that shows any blocking of any ports relating to the Lansweeper client.

The lansweeper client sends a message to the server "please scan me" and stops working.
The the server scans the client (in this case the isa server)

You should be looking for traffic from the lansweeper server to the isa server in your logging.
Lansweeper wrote:
gkarasik wrote:

The lansweeper client sends a message to the server "please scan me" and stops working.
The the server scans the client (in this case the isa server)

You should be looking for traffic from the lansweeper server to the isa server in your logging.

I understand that. I will repeat what I have said above, because I don't know any other way to say it: I have turned on real-time logging, and there is nothing in the ISA logs that shows any blocking of any ports relating to the Lansweeper client.

Originally, when I ran LSClient from the SBS and used the /Showresult switch, I got a "good connection" message; the Lansweeper console would show the SBS (named TSServer) but no data from any scan. After having rebooted the SBS, now the /Showresult switch returns a "no connection" message. So is there some other port beside 9524 that must be opened?

GaryK