cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BoSadmin
Engaged Sweeper
I know the developers don't support Novell but I was hoping maybe some other users might have experience and a solution for my problem.

We are running Novell Netware and Client 4.9 across around 300-400 computers on windows XP and multiple servers with either 2000 or 2003. I have the lansweeper service running using our domain administrator account. We are spread across 7 branches and have about half of our computers running McAfee 8 and the other half running McAfee Total Protection (which has been a pain in its' own right).

Problem 1: When scanning computers within the same building as our lansweeper server I can usually get a full report, unless it gets auto blocked by total protection, but almost everyone gets a Novell login pop-up with administrator user-name and no password. If they hit cancel it will pop-up about 2-3 more times and then stop, the scan still works and I get all the information from what I can tell but sometimes those pop-ups cause a bsod and has to restart (this usually locks them out of the system because Novell thinks they are still logged on).

Problem 2: Before 4.0 I could not scan computers at other branches, no way, no how. I had tried lsclient from login script lstrigger remotely. I went to the branch and tried running lsclient directly with status and it seemed to work but the only thing that ever gets through is the computer name. 2 errors saying RPC server unavailable and DCOM port 135 firewalled? but we have windows firewall disabled and I have even disabled McAfee and still get the same. My guess is that 135 might be blocked on a router? Now with 4.0 I can scan them by IP sometimes but still get that Novell pop up and IP scanning seems to take a lot longer, plus many computers have gotten bsod and shutdown before the scan was finished.

If you took the time to read all that then here is the really fun part. I am a Telecom admin for our Nortel VOIP phones, our network admin (and CTO) has been working with me some but I was given the job of working with lansweeper by our 6 month old CIO because he wants everyone to be redundant and remove the 30 year vet CTO from day to day operations. So probably best not to assume anything.

Bonus Question: How can I get our Nortel VOIP phones to be scanned by IP as devices? This is the log from the device tester.

XX.XX.XX.XX Ping OK
SMTP port is closed
SNMP Not active or community name wrong
Port 139 is Closed
FTP port is closed
Telnet port is closed
SMTP port is closed
HTTP port is closed
HTTPS port is closed
SSH port 22 is open (Says it is open but the phones do not have SSH activated)
A supplied password or user name is incorrect.
SSH error: A supplied password or user name is incorrect.
5 REPLIES 5
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The fix is implemented in the latest beta (2 March)

SIP protocol is now detected (port 5060 TCP)
BoSadmin
Engaged Sweeper
Nope, sure don't but I have a ticket in with Nortel for them to make a change that will allow discovery. Until then I can add devices manually if needed.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Any TCP ports open that you can find?
BoSadmin
Engaged Sweeper
Thank you for the first two tips.

The ports that are on the physical phones I am trying to find are the following.

UDP 4100 (UNIStim)
UDP 5000 (Net6)
UDP 5200 (RTP)
UDP 5201 (RTCP)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Problem 1: When scanning computers within the same building as our lansweeper server I can usually get a full report, unless it gets auto blocked by total protection, but almost everyone gets a Novell login pop-up with administrator user-name and no password. If they hit cancel it will pop-up about 2-3 more times and then stop, the scan still works and I get all the information from what I can tell but sometimes those pop-ups cause a bsod and has to restart (this usually locks them out of the system because Novell thinks they are still logged on).

You have to search the forums but I remember a similar problem where an upgrade of the Novell client solved the problem.

Problem 2: Before 4.0 I could not scan computers at other branches, no way, no how. I had tried lsclient from login script lstrigger remotely. I went to the branch and tried running lsclient directly with status and it seemed to work but the only thing that ever gets through is the computer name. 2 errors saying RPC server unavailable and DCOM port 135 firewalled? but we have windows firewall disabled and I have even disabled McAfee and still get the same. My guess is that 135 might be blocked on a router? Now with 4.0 I can scan them by IP sometimes but still get that Novell pop up and IP scanning seems to take a lot longer, plus many computers have gotten bsod and shutdown before the scan was finished.

You can try the lsclient /scanonip option.

Bonus Question: How can I get our Nortel VOIP phones to be scanned by IP as devices? This is the log from the device tester.

Do you know which ports/protocols are open on these phones?