cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
galesj
Engaged Sweeper II
Using Lansweeper vv. 6.0.230.48

Curious if anyone else has found a way to handle this situation:

We have a 10.1.10.x subnet that is used for VPN connections. Lansweeper will scan a workstation on this subnet and associate it's IP address with that workstation.

Because the VPN gets used heavily, IP addresses are frequently re-used, so at any given time Lansweeper might have 3 or 4 workstations with the same IP address.

When looking at reports and using the "Ping Assets" tool, it will show workstations online that really are not online.

This is a frequent headache because I see a workstation that might need an update, it looks like it's online, but when I try to push software I find out that it's not actually online.

I tried scanning this subnet more frequently but it didn't help the issue.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
This is a tough one.

Aside from scanning more frequently, there is not much to do.

If AD scanning is an option, that might be worth a try. If it isn't, I think the best option might be to look into implementing LsPush with a login script.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a real way to keep it 100% accurate unless you use a monitoring tool. In a way, scanning very frequently is a way of monitoring.
galesj
Engaged Sweeper II
Charles.X wrote:
This is a tough one.

Aside from scanning more frequently, there is not much to do.

If AD scanning is an option, that might be worth a try. If it isn't, I think the best option might be to look into implementing LsPush with a login script.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a real way to keep it 100% accurate unless you use a monitoring tool. In a way, scanning very frequently is a way of monitoring.

Thank you for the reply. Glad to know I'm not missing something obvious.

The only workaround I can find, is if I search for a specific IP address, it will return the 3 or 4 workstations with that IP address; then I can look at the "last seen" date and usually figure out which of the group is actually online.

Perhaps, as an enhancement, Lansweeper could add an alternate ping option that also resolved the machine name rather than just giving green/red based solely on last known IP address.

Or if it could identify duplicate IP's and somehow mark only the most recently seen asset.

Great tool, just one of my minor-frustration points.

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
galesj wrote:
The only workaround I can find, is if I search for a specific IP address, it will return the 3 or 4 workstations with that IP address; then I can look at the "last seen" date and usually figure out which of the group is actually online.

You could probably create a report which does this for you.