cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fbg
Engaged Sweeper II

Has anyone been able to create a deployment to install Microsoft store apps?  

4 REPLIES 4
UsernameMissing
Engaged Sweeper II

I've done it.

The hardest part is identifying the required files, in particular the dependencies.

I created a deployment to call a powershell file, the contents of which are below...

Below will install the MS store into an LTSC machine.

add-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -packagepath "{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11809.1001.713.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle" -licensepath "{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe.xml" -dependencypackagepath "{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx","{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx","{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx","{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.6_1.6.24903.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx","{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.26706.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx","{packageshare}\Microsoft Store\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.26706.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx"

mhash89
Engaged Sweeper II

Yes, but I'm doing this from the msstore and winget repo's and not an actual .appx file if that matters.

This will install the app store along with winget. There's a bit more to this if you're trying to install it on a server or images missing Microsoft VCLibs. There are guides for this if that's what you want to do.

-ExecutionPolicy Bypass (Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -LogLevel Warnings | Where-Object -Property DisplayName -EQ Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller).InstallLocation -replace '%SYSTEMDRIVE%', $env:SystemDrive | Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode

Once you have winget installed you can use this script to install apps. Just modify the name, ID, and type to match the winget/msstore info which you can find by opening up powershell/terminal and running "winget search appname":

# Define the apps to install
$apps = @(
    @{Name = "Google Chrome"; Id = "Google.Chrome"; Type = "winget"},
    @{Name = "Mozilla Firefox"; Id = "Mozilla.Firefox"; Type = "winget"},
    @{Name = "Microsoft 365 (Office)"; Id = "Microsoft.365Desktop"; Type = "winget"},
    @{Name = "Microsoft Teams"; Id = "MicrosoftTeams"; Type = "winget"},
    @{Name = "Notepad++"; Id = "Notepad++.Notepad++"; Type = "winget"},
    @{Name = "PowerToys"; Id = "Microsoft.PowerToys"; Type = "winget"},
    @{Name = "Greenshot"; Id = "Greenshot.Greenshot"; Type = "winget"}
    @{Name = "Windows Calc"; Id = "9WZDNCRFHVN5"; Type = "msstore"}
)

# Install the apps silently for all users
foreach ($app in $apps) {
    if ($app.Type -eq "winget") {
        Write-Host "Installing $($app.Name) from winget..."
        winget install $app.Id -e -s winget --silent --accept-package-agreements --accept-source-agreements --force
    } elseif ($app.Type -eq "msstore") {
        Write-Host "Installing $($app.Name) from Microsoft Store..."
        Add-AppxPackage -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.$($app.Id)_*" -DisableDevelopmentMode
    }
}

# Verify the apps were installed
foreach ($app in $apps) {
    if ($app.Type -eq "winget" -and (Get-Command $app.Id -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)) {
        Write-Host "$($app.Name) was installed successfully from winget."
    } elseif ($app.Type -eq "msstore" -and (Get-AppxPackage "Microsoft.$($app.Id)" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)) {
        Write-Host "$($app.Name) was installed successfully from Microsoft Store."
    } else {
        Write-Warning "$($app.Name) was not installed."
    }
}

And last if you want to automatically keep these apps up to date you can use GPO to schedule a task that runs however often you'd like them to update:

powershell.exe winget upgrade --all --silent --include-unknown

Mgb131968
Engaged Sweeper II

I would be interested to see if that's possible. Thanks.

MCruikshank
Engaged Sweeper II

I am currently working on a deployment to install Windows Store on some of our LTSC machines. The Natural follow up after I get this done will be installing actual apps. I will try and keep this thread updated.