cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mohsh86
Engaged Sweeper
Hello Lansweepers,

I've been disconnected from the industry for a while now, and i am kinda getting back to a fill a gap in a business. I've been going back and forth reading reviews and comparisons (lansweeper, spiceworks, manage engine, GLPI, etc). I've started with lansweeper and got instantly hooked

Objective:
- IT Inventory
- Remote Control & Deploy

I've installed lsagent since all laptops in the business leaves the office. I've port forwarded lsagent port (changed from default of 9524 to something different), configured new port on lsagent installation on laptops, the assets pops up on the web interface which is great.

What i was expecting/having a question about:

-If i have lsagent installed as admin and the service can execute as a system user, why do i need the admin account configured in the scanner to scan/deploy/do actions?

-If the laptop is behind a NAT (user working from home, or on a client's network), with lsagent is directly connected to lansweeper server (via port forward), why i am not able to deploy / remote control the machine? ideally speaking, (or maybe am just fantasizing) if the lsagent maintains a connection with the server whenever possible, and through that connection; the server kinda reverse shell/ push deploy packages/ remote control the asset

-Also, if lsagent is installed, why is it still showing offline / firewalled when it is connected to LAN ? do i need to manually disable firewall / allow ping/RPC of device manually?

Am i getting this wrong?
1 REPLY 1
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
mohsh86 wrote:
-If I have lsagent installed as admin and the service can execute as a system user, why do I need the admin account configured in the scanner to scan/deploy/do actions?

Scanning without the agent required admin credentials because certain WMI classes require admin credentials to be accessed.
Deploying only uses admin credentials if you select that run mode. But you can also run a deployment using the system account or the logged-in user account.
Actions use the permissions of the account running the browser that is accessing Lansweeper. This is why often times you will need to run your browser under admin permissions to be able to perform certain actions that require admin permissions.

mohsh86 wrote:

-If the laptop is behind a NAT (user working from home, or on a client's network), with lsagent is directly connected to lansweeper server (via port forward), why i am not able to deploy / remote control the machine? ideally speaking, (or maybe am just fantasizing) if the lsagent maintains a connection with the server whenever possible, and through that connection; the server kinda reverse shell/ push deploy packages/ remote control the asset.

LsAgent will always try to use a direct connection first, but it that fails it uses our cloud relay to send the information back to the Lansweeper installation. If you connect your remote assets with a VPN to your network, you will be able to deploy and do remote control, but LsAgent is only designed to send data and retrieve config updates.

While it is technically possible to also use this for other features so they can used on remote assets, its not easy. Just look at how PDQ just EOL their remote deployment agent since they couldn't get it working right.

mohsh86 wrote:

-Also, if lsagent is installed, why is it still showing offline / firewalled when it is connected to LAN ? do i need to manually disable firewall / allow ping/RPC of device manually?

Am i getting this wrong?

LsAgent pushes the data to Lansweeper, this is very different than pulling the data from the machine which required ports to be opened.
If your actions are not working when an assets is connected to the network, you'll have to check whether the data the action is using is correct for the current state of the asset (netbios of the asset etc).