cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgstein
Engaged Sweeper
Hello - we have some Hyper-V guest assets that won't die. The VMs have been deleted from the hosts but continue to show up in Lansweeper. We've tried a number of things to remove these from the inventory and reporting:
a) Manually removing the assets from Lansweeper causes them to be rediscovered the next day.
b) On three out of four of the rediscovered Hyper-V guest assets the VHost is listed and the object can be found in old Hyper-V log entries.
c) Under Server Options > History Cleanup Options we have set Delete Hyper-V logs after 1 day. This appears to do nothing.
d) Scanned Item Interval has HyperV and HyperVLog unchecked. This appears to do nothing.
Either something is not working as expected or we are missing something basic. Either way suggestions would be appreciated. We are a licensed user running version 8.0.130.17.
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I received the following response from support on this issue which essentially suggests disabling Hyper-V guest scanning. I have created the suggested exclusion and have manually cleaned up the existing guest objects. They have not re-appeared and we haven't lost any relevant information. We were already scanning the individual assets through both AD and IP scanning. Hopefully this will help others get a handle on the duplication that guest scanning can create.

Hyper-V guest assets are designed in a way that multiple Hyper-V guests with similar information can exist across multiple hosts. This processing of the assets has this type of behavior as a downside.

There are 3 options that you can do to try to resolve this issue.

Option 1
Exclude all your Hyper-V guess asset types and can delete all Hyper-V Guests that have been scanned. These can still be seen and are inventoried on the Hyper-V Hosts' asset page. Information on excluding asset types can be found in the following KB article:
• https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/excluding-assets-from-scanning/
Option 2
As part of your standard guest migration procedure between Hyper-V hosts, delete the Hyper-V guest asset from Lansweeper.

Option 3
Scan the Hyper-V guests directly either through Windows Scanning or Linux Scanning. You may need to do a one-time delete of duplicate Hyper-V guest assets if any remain afterward.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tim_N
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee

I'd be curious if those assets are located in Active Directory still? If AD is being scanned by Lansweeper, those assets will continue to appear just because they are in AD. 

Another idea might similar -- to check other scan targets. Maybe this ghost device is actually coming in a diffrent way. 

Tim N.
Lansweeper Employee
StillGoing
Engaged Sweeper III

I'm running into similar issues; guest systems appearing that were deleted over a month ago, along with some guest VMs that are creating duplicate (and triplicate and quadruplicate) asset entries.

I have an open ticket about the duplication issue. I'll follow-up on this thread if it sheds some light on the issues with Hyper-V guests. Right now it seems inconsistent and unreliable.

I received the following response from support on this issue which essentially suggests disabling Hyper-V guest scanning. I have created the suggested exclusion and have manually cleaned up the existing guest objects. They have not re-appeared and we haven't lost any relevant information. We were already scanning the individual assets through both AD and IP scanning. Hopefully this will help others get a handle on the duplication that guest scanning can create.

Hyper-V guest assets are designed in a way that multiple Hyper-V guests with similar information can exist across multiple hosts. This processing of the assets has this type of behavior as a downside.

There are 3 options that you can do to try to resolve this issue.

Option 1
Exclude all your Hyper-V guess asset types and can delete all Hyper-V Guests that have been scanned. These can still be seen and are inventoried on the Hyper-V Hosts' asset page. Information on excluding asset types can be found in the following KB article:
• https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/excluding-assets-from-scanning/
Option 2
As part of your standard guest migration procedure between Hyper-V hosts, delete the Hyper-V guest asset from Lansweeper.

Option 3
Scan the Hyper-V guests directly either through Windows Scanning or Linux Scanning. You may need to do a one-time delete of duplicate Hyper-V guest assets if any remain afterward.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now