cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
When exactly did this option show up?
"Allow Lansweeper to gather metrics"
I just installed the latest updated and noticed it and before I could turn it off it gathered information without asking me.

6 REPLIES 6
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Yes there needs to be an opt in / out during the installer. This is not good enough.
grimstar
Champion Sweeper II
I had a big thing written in response to this and decided against posting it. All I'll say is that -

*It is wrong that the software doesn't provide an opt-in/out mechanism prior to sending data.
*The recommendation to disable your internet connection first is terrible as you would literally have to read this post to know about it.
*Lansweeper should have a technical lawyer determine if what they are doing creates a legal problem.

You are providing an opt-out only after you send metrics?
Hendrik_VE
Champion Sweeper III
Very good point! The "Allow Lansweeper to gather metrics" option should be disabled by default. You don't want to share your companies footprint (eg. total number of highly vulnerable systems) with external parties, just like that.
That's one of the reasons we don't allow Internet traffic to/from our scanning servers (knowing that we miss out on the warrantly scanning).

Please think about this, Lansweeper 😉
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I'm not quite sure what the timing is. I know it checks once per day. If you want to be sure, you could disable internet connectivity for a short moment and turn it off as soon as the install/update is done.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
It is part of 7.2 update, you can find more information about it here: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/notifications/

A notice was sent out that our EULA was updated and accepting the EULA is also required before an installation or update can be done.
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
Esben.D wrote:
It is part of 7.2 update, you can find more information about it here: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/notifications/

A notice was sent out that our EULA was updated and accepting the EULA is also required before an installation or update can be done.

Ah so part of the EULA is as soon as its installed you leak the information first and then let us untick the option? Or was there a delay after first update?