cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RNguyen
Engaged Sweeper II
We have multiple servers in our network with databases in each. As far as I know, Lansweeper will only scan what's in its server, Is it possible to create a report that queries into another server?

I haven't tried it yet but the only method I could think of that may possibly work is to link the target server to the Lansweeper server and authorize the scanning credentials to be able to login.

If this is possible, how can I set this up?
6 REPLIES 6
Sarah_MacG
Engaged Sweeper II

I wasn't able to do it that way either.  I needed to add my WSUS info into a report in LanSweeper, so what I did was create a scheduled task on LS server that queries WSUS DB and inject data into an unused table in LanSweeper.  We dont use the ticket system feature in LS so used one of those tables.  Its a round about way, a hack.

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I see, you mean with linked servers. It's not possible within the report builder. Maybe by directly running queries within SSMS. To be honest this goes a bit beyond my knowledge of SQL.
RNguyen
Engaged Sweeper II
Sorry, I think i'm being unclear.

Lansweeper is in server1_db1
Query Results For Custom Report to be exported is in server2_db1

These two are completely independent.

In Reports\Create New Report, when I add the Query for server2_db1, the editor won't allow it because it's currently only pointing to server1_db1. I am trying to add the tables from server2_db1 so the editor will allow the query to be saved and ran from Lansweeper.

Software\Scanned SQL Servers shows 14 results, so it sees it, but now I'm just trying to get the server and/or table to be recognized in the editor
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Aha, I wasn't sure if you had scanned them or not.

If you need to find where data is stored, I would recommend taking a look at out database documentation. You can look up where data is stored there.

The SQL server information is stored in the following tables:
  • tblSqlServers
  • tblSqlDatabases
RNguyen
Engaged Sweeper II
That's what I also did, it even shows the successful last scan.
But when it comes creating a query in the report editor, it never shows the table of the server/database I'm trying to access on the right side.

Would I have to scan for the actual database file?
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper will automatically scan SQL server information if the Windows asset itself is scanned.

If no credentials are added for other assets, Lansweeper will only be able to scan the asset it is installed on since it is the only one it can get the information from. To scan other Windows assets, you can follow this knowledgebase article: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-to-scan-a-windows-computer/