cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Is there a option to alert when a computer is seen after it's marked stolen? Or to tag an asset to alert when it's seen next?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
You can't set up real-time alerts for this. You can create a report that lists assets seen in the last X number of hours or days, but report alerts are sent on a fixed schedule. Lansweeper doesn't scan over the Internet anyway, so it would not be able to detect stolen machines outside of your network.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Thanks!
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
Possibly an option for you might be creating a deployment-package that sends a log-file with the logged on users name to a fileserver or directly to your device. Then you could simply set a schedule with this package for the "stolen"-group/-state so that this package will create the log-file with the username inside as soon as the device gets scanned (well IF you have set LS like this).
Also in the "config"-tab of the asset-view you can go to "user info", there is a list of all users who have logged on to this device recently.

I've been working in various schools for the past 3 years now and I always told them to include a user-logging script that reports EVERY login and logoff to a device-specific txt-file on the server so we could always see WHO was logged in, WHEN he/she logged in and for HOW LONG he was logged in. It may take a few hours to create the script and configure it for every single device but belive me, it was worth it. We could track the student who damaged/stole a device EVERYTIME and before I left no device got damaged or stolen for over 1/2 year.
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Well I was thinking that if it was stolen or even lost, I could get an alert that LS saw it (even on the network). Maybe something to add to the todo list?

We are a school, and it's not the easiest to track who took what, especially when people are not following protocol. If a device goes missing, and we set it in LS to lost or stolen, then it's found 4 months later in a closet and someone just turns it on. It would be awesome to alert someone.

Thanks!
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
You can't set up real-time alerts for this. You can create a report that lists assets seen in the last X number of hours or days, but report alerts are sent on a fixed schedule. Lansweeper doesn't scan over the Internet anyway, so it would not be able to detect stolen machines outside of your network.