cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdonizetti
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

I created some "asset group scanning" instead of "IP Address Range Scanning" , the problem is that on "asset group scanning" there isn't the possibility to add the credential or to exclude the SSH or Windows. Should be implemented in the next release or there is a workaround for that ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
ToeJoe wrote:
I must use IP Address Range Scanning with valid credentials again. IP Address Range Scanning with valid credentials may be removed after asset is found and stored in database; Asset Group / Type Scanning would be enough for updating the asset.
Is this OK?

This is not OK, The valid credentials must still be linked to the IP range (Or to the IPAddress is the switch has a static IP)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ToeJoe
Engaged Sweeper III
On Configuration/ScanningMethods page I made IP Address Range Scanning for whole network where switches are (i.e. from 10.96.4.250 to 10.96.100.254) where I checked don't ping and ignore windows, removed all schedule and removed check to enable it. Then, I added existing mapped credential for switches. Now I can successfully rescan all switches with rescan asset button. Asset Group scanning is working (clicking on scan now). So, now I have only one entry for this asset type credentials instead one per asset(IP address).
However, I am not sure if this will affect performance of Lansweeper server or something else.
cdonizetti
Engaged Sweeper III
To be clear, if I understood we must add all "IP Address Range Scanning" using the specific credential (should be one each IP address) and keep it forever. After first scanning we should disable the "IP Address Range Scanning" schedule and use the "Asset Group / Type Scanning" schedule. Is it correct ? If yes, my personal opinion, for someone (depend of infrastructure), should be easy to have the possibility to associate the credential also for device type and not only for IP Address.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
This approach will only work for devices already in the database.
As soon as you delete a device or add a new one you will need to add this manually in Lansweeper because it will not be detected anymore because of the missing credentials.
ToeJoe
Engaged Sweeper III
Lansweeper wrote:
This approach will only work for devices already in the database.
As soon as you delete a device or add a new one you will need to add this manually in Lansweeper because it will not be detected anymore because of the missing credentials.

So, just to make things clear: I must use IP Address Range Scanning with valid credentials for initial scanning and later I could use periodically Asset Group / Type Scanning for updating the assets of certain type (i.e. switches). If I want to add additional asset (switch for example), I must use IP Address Range Scanning with valid credentials again. IP Address Range Scanning with valid credentials may be removed after asset is found and stored in database; Asset Group / Type Scanning would be enough for updating the asset.
Is this OK?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
ToeJoe wrote:
I must use IP Address Range Scanning with valid credentials again. IP Address Range Scanning with valid credentials may be removed after asset is found and stored in database; Asset Group / Type Scanning would be enough for updating the asset.
Is this OK?

This is not OK, The valid credentials must still be linked to the IP range (Or to the IPAddress is the switch has a static IP)
cdonizetti
Engaged Sweeper III
Yes, but in this way I need to define two scheduled scanning (IP Address Range Scanning + Asset Group / Type Scanning).
If you add the credential to the "Asset Group / Type Scanning" we should for example use the "Batch Scanning" or add manually the Asset and then create the "Asset Groups" or "Asset Type" for scheduled scanning.

For Example .. in one subnet I have printer, switch, server, tape, data domain, etc .. and each of this Asset Type use a different credential.

At the moment to manage one subnet I need to define a lot of entry in a "IP Address Range Scanning" , if you will implement the credential using the "Asset Group / Type Scanning" I will define only a few entry in the "Asset Group / Type Scanning" (only one for device type).
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Asset group scanning only rescans assets that are already scanned.
This is useful to rescan all printers every day to get updated toner information without scanning your whole network (example)

You need to provide all possible credentials to identify the asset type.

An asset can only be identified is the information is successfully scanned.
ToeJoe
Engaged Sweeper III
I am also interested in this issue. There is no way to map credentials to asset type (only domain, PC, IP and IP range), which would be nice.