cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delders
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello,
I have been asked to track workstation movements. I have found that if I re-image a computer it does not track what the previous computer name was. I only get that if I rename the computer. Is there a way to keep the name change history through the re-image?
Whthll33
3 REPLIES 3
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
A Windows computer's unique ID is the following: <NetBIOS domain or workgroup name>\<NetBIOS computer name>\1
If either one of those is changed, rename detection will then compare serial number, model and MAC address of the computer to check if it was renamed.

More information can be found here: https://www.lansweeper.com/kb/87/windows-rename-detection.html

I assume that when you re-image the computer, it's NetBIOS computer name does not change.
delders
Engaged Sweeper II
Thanks for the reply. I do have the option for Windows Renaming Detection checked. I can see the changes of names in the comment section so I know that is working. What is happening is when I re-image a machine and give it to another user LS does not have the name change history in the comments. Is there a way to keep the comments persistent after a re-image and not just a name change in the System settings.
esr
Champion Sweeper
Be sure you've checked (activated) the option for Windows Renaming Detection (Detect when a Windows computer has been renamed), located at the bottom of the page Configuration>Server Options.

This will add a Comment whenever a name change is found. Comments can be included in reports.

Select Top 1000000 tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tsysAssetTypes.AssetTypename,
tsysAssetTypes.AssetTypeIcon10 As icon,
tblAssets.IPAddress,
tblAssets.Lastseen,
tblAssets.Lasttried,
tblAssetComments.Comment,
tblAssetComments.AddedBy,
tblAssetComments.Added
From tblAssets
Inner Join tblAssetCustom On tblAssets.AssetID = tblAssetCustom.AssetID