cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IainCaldwell
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee

Hi

Fishing expedition - Does anyone think there would be value in the Lansweeper install being available as part of a docker container?

Any feedback appreciated whether that be 'Yes', 'No' or 'dont be daft that's a stupid idea because ......'

Cheers Iain

11 REPLIES 11
IainCaldwell
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee

Thanks to all who give feedback - as a quick update before closing of this post.

We have been doing some testing of our next gen discovery within docker containers.  Its in the lab and i believe early signs are promising.  Can't make promises but i expect our new scanner will make this much easier to do.

LarsenIT
Engaged Sweeper

I think this is a great idea.

Mister_Nobody
Honored Sweeper II

I prefer to have Linux version of LS with Postgres DB support.

As LS have DB so it will be statefull container which is not good practice. But containered scan servers are OK.

ChristopherBran
Engaged Sweeper II

Yes, I'd like to be able to run it in a docker container instead of a vm running windows as we are now currently.

voestalpine
Engaged Sweeper

Yes

SGH
Engaged Sweeper

YES please

would be much easier to support and update

dgarner
Engaged Sweeper

I joined only to respond to this thread and may never visit the forums again - only to say, it would be daft not to. Most non-Microsoft enterprise software is moving to containerization; it makes literally every aspect of installation and management infinity more simple, it will help you break into new markets as much of the homelab scene is exclusively or largely Kubernetes/docker users and it, presumably, makes transferring applications between devices much easier.

Oh yeah, and it helps make porting between OS' infinitely easier, as well.

I demo'd the product on my Windows Workstation, a Ryzen 9 7950x. I don't need to tell you the multitude of reasons this is a poor permanent host. I'm here because I attempted to find a Linux, then a docker compose version so I can run this on one of the several 80 core servers I have running Proxmox or Linux, nada..

So now I'm stuck using this on a relatively booty option (including.. I have 12 fans and a 360 AIO ... and just downvolted my CPU to .0895v from 1.5v .. HOW IS IT STILL REACHING 85c?! Are we suppose to use liquid nitrogen to cool this devil?!) or find something else when your product is actually fairly decent overall.

Just my 0.02v -- err, 0.02c

Matt-Neubauer
Engaged Sweeper

Yes!!

We are moving towards containers for all of our apps. If you did release a container image that would be amazing!

simon_hooper
Engaged Sweeper

Yes