cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toddphillipsmb
Engaged Sweeper II
I'm looking for a way to copy a .rdp file to all domain users desktop. Is this possible, if so how would I start to accomplish this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
So, if you have the RDP file in a common folder that you have access to (\\server\share), then next question would be if you do it as a custom action they can be done as the logged in person or system I think. So, assuming access to the source .RDP file is one thing, but at all the destinations you would need access.

then it would be does everyone have the same or similar OS?

so you could do it with powershell or CMD using copy command or xcopy

copy \\source\remotefile.rdp %PUBLIC%\desktop\remotefile.rdp something like that depending on client OS. I have not tried it so that is off the top of my head.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
toddphillipsmb
Engaged Sweeper II
I ended up doing it as a deployment package. If needed here is all that had to be done. Thanks for your assistance.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package>
<Name>Copy RDP Icon</Name>
<Description>This package copies an rdp file to the \Users\Public\Desktop of the client machine. You can insert your own files into the deployment step.</Description>
<ShutdownOption>0</ShutdownOption>
<ShutdownTime>0</ShutdownTime>
<MaxDuration>180</MaxDuration>
<Rescan>True</Rescan>
<RunMode>3</RunMode>
<Steps>
<Step>
<Nr>1</Nr>
<Name>File copy</Name>
<Type>2</Type>
<ReturnCodes>0,1641,3010</ReturnCodes>
<Success>-2</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path></Path>
<Parameters></Parameters>
<MSIParameters></MSIParameters>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<MSIVersion></MSIVersion>
<Command>copy "\\lansweeper\rdp\CPR+Palmetto.rdp" "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\CPR+Palmetto.rdp"</Command>
<EditMode>False</EditMode>
<Conditions />
</Step>
</Steps>
<SoftwareVersion>6051</SoftwareVersion>
</Package>
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
So, if you have the RDP file in a common folder that you have access to (\\server\share), then next question would be if you do it as a custom action they can be done as the logged in person or system I think. So, assuming access to the source .RDP file is one thing, but at all the destinations you would need access.

then it would be does everyone have the same or similar OS?

so you could do it with powershell or CMD using copy command or xcopy

copy \\source\remotefile.rdp %PUBLIC%\desktop\remotefile.rdp something like that depending on client OS. I have not tried it so that is off the top of my head.

toddphillipsmb
Engaged Sweeper II
Thanks for the reply, I thought of just doing it through GP, I didn't know if there was a way to do it in lansweeper, like deploying a package, or and Action or Installer.
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
batch file or login script comes to mind, or you create the shortcut in one please, like your main fileserver, then you put a shortcut to it on all desktops using group policy?