cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guenther_rupitz
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello

Is it possible to ask the user at the beginning of installation if it is ok to install an software package now?
In case of upgrades it is necessary to shutdown the programm before, and i dont want to do this without warning.

Installation during the night with WOL does not work for us.

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
You could add a script step before your installer step. Save a VBS script with a code like the following example onto your Package share and refer to this script in the first step. It will bring up a popup and ask the user if he would like to continue with the installation.

result = MsgBox ("Do you agree with the installation of Software XXX and reboot?", vbYesNo, "Message Box Title")

Select Case result
Case vbYes
MsgBox("The installation will now begin.")
WScript.Quit(0)
Case vbNo
MsgBox("The installation was cancelled.")
WScript.Quit(-1)
End Select

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
eismannb
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello, wonderful soulution... but this open a taskeng.exe black field. users become fear if they see a black box and a msgbox.

is it possible to hide the taskeng.exe field?

Thanks for helping
Bert_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Unfortunately it is impossible to change credentials/users during the deployment.

An other way is to deploy something like a powershell script.
However, this would require you to pass or hard code admin credentials to/in the script.

Needless to say this is not in any way secure
guenther_rupitz
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello Bert

Your suggestion is really complicated, when i want to roll out multiple packages there is enormously to do.

A really nice solution would be to add the userrights (optional) at every step of deployment. (or change userrights in vbs during code execution, if this would be possible).

Günther
Bert_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Maybe a bit farfetched.

- Set some specific error code as return code in the script
- Run the script as logged on user
- Make a report of assets based on tsysdeploymentlogs (where return value was specified above).
- Make a package to deploy on that report
- Create a deployment schedule that runs every 2 minutes
guenther_rupitz
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello Bert

As i already wrote 'Currently logged on' is not an option, because logged in users does not have admin rights.

Günther
Bert_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I would recommend deploying the package as 'Currently logged on' then.

Or isn't that an option?
guenther_rupitz
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello Daniel

No, i get the popup only when run as "currently logged on".

With vbs it is possible to get a list of logged in users, but i am not an expert in vbs, maybe it is possible to run a second script with something imilar to a "runas" command?

Günther
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
That is correct.
Scanning credentials can also work, but only if the current logged on user is using the Scanning credentials.

In general:
Messageboxes, and other forms of user interaction, will only be visible for the user if they run in his/her session.
guenther_rupitz
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello

Thank you for the script, but the problem is that this will only work if you select "Currently Logged On" at run mode.
The problem is that our users do not have admin rights, so the installation itself will fail in the next step.

Günther