cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lance
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

I've tried deployment package and it seems to work fine. Question comes that since I've deployed package within same building, I had almost no network saturation. However, I have number of remote office that I have to deploy to and concerned that it will saturate their connection. Is there a way to copy install files to local computer in remote location in advance preferably with limited speed so that it doesn't slow down connections for users in remote location? So that way install files are copied over already and number of computers can install off of it's HDD instead of number of computers trying to download install files off of network when it tries to install?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
You could set up IP location specific package shares in the Deployment\Security Options section of the Lansweeper web console and continue to use the {packageshare} parameter in your deployment packages. Lansweeper will pull the deployment files from the package share of the IP location the target computer belongs to, instead of pulling everything from the central Lansweeper server.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Lance
Engaged Sweeper
So if I have 300-400 big and small offices throughout US, I would have to select 1 computer from each location to copy over a install file to branch out to that office? So there's still going to be many manual copy over of install file and create 300-400 different install packages based on IP location?
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Lance wrote:
So there's still going to be many manual copy over of install file and create 300-400 different install packages based on IP location?

• You can create a deployment package in Lansweeper itself (e.g. with an xcopy command line step or something similar) to copy the files over.
  • Your final deployment would only require 1 package. Simply set up your IP locations and their package shares under Deployment\Security Options and use the {packageshare} parameter in your (single) deployment package. Lansweeper will automatically convert {packageshare} to the appropriate share based on the IP location of the target computer. Submitting your IP locations under Deployment\Security Options will require some work, but you would only have to do this once. In Lansweeper 6.0, currently in beta, you could import the locations from a .csv file as well. If you are interested in the beta, please contact support@lansweeper.com and include "beta" in the title of your message.
vonderau
Engaged Sweeper II
Lance wrote:
So if I have 300-400 big and small offices throughout US, I would have to select 1 computer from each location to copy over a install file to branch out to that office? So there's still going to be many manual copy over of install file and create 300-400 different install packages based on IP location?

I currently use DFS To get around manually copying files to all the branch office deployment shares
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
You could set up IP location specific package shares in the Deployment\Security Options section of the Lansweeper web console and continue to use the {packageshare} parameter in your deployment packages. Lansweeper will pull the deployment files from the package share of the IP location the target computer belongs to, instead of pulling everything from the central Lansweeper server.
Joshua
Engaged Sweeper III
We use SCCM 2012 for large deployments like this. It transfers the package using BITS and will share the package among other computers on the same subnet so it will only download to a location once over the T1 and then branch out across the local network.

Also it's good to note you can use a program such as Supercopier that can throttle transfer speed. Copy it to one machine at the remote location and setup your lansweeper package to run the installer from \\remotemachine\sharedir\install so when you deploy it to the machines at that remote location they all look to the one share on the local machine.
esr
Champion Sweeper
We run several deployment sites around the state for this very reason, and Lansweeper offers a few different methods of segregating deployment sites. We are simply using full path in the package steps, and we name each package accordingly to indicate where it should be used- is simple and works.

Instead of the default: {PackageShare}\Installers\

You can use something like: \\YOURSERVERNAME\YourLansweeperRepository\Installers\

CBG-NK
Engaged Sweeper II
I've been wondering the same thing, because it makes NO SENSE copying the same large install files to every Branch Office computer over a WAN link. Makes more sense to have the installers on a host at the Branch and have Lansweeper control the deployment aspect. This is a very essential and critical deployment feature to have.