cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III
May I suggest that you review how this "view" can be better utilized by administrators.
For larger organizations, being able to see all mailservers or DNS servers by simply clicking on the appropriate "Device type" would be a great timesaver.

BTW,all discovered devices already exist so why would someone need to "add" a device? A device means that it has an IP address. So it is either discovered or has been manually scanned and inserted in the database. A device should be able to belong to multiple device type. For instance I have a device that acts as a: Domain Controller, DNS server, DHCP server, Web server, etc. These settings should be able to be "locked" to protect them from future scanning.

Also, instead of relying on Lansweeper to populate the pull down list of device type, offer administrators the option to manually add their own type via the "Configuration" utility. All User-Defined types would start with the prefix UD- so they can easily be identified by the program.

Thanks
Pierre
4 REPLIES 4
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
PierreM wrote:
For larger organizations, being able to see all mailservers or DNS servers by simply clicking on the appropriate "Device type" would be a great timesaver.

Clicking on a device type in the "Device overview" should already take you to a page listing all devices of that type.

PierreM wrote:
BTW,all discovered devices already exist so why would someone need to "add" a device?

The "Add new device" option is useful if you want to keep track of devices that are not part of your network for instance. It allows you to submit devices completely manually.

Some changes to the "Device overview" are planned for Lansweeper version 5.0, but nothing has been finalized yet. Lansweeper 5.0 is currently in development, but we do not yet have a release date for it.
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III
Lansweeper wrote:
PierreM wrote:

Lansweeper wrote:
Clicking on a device type in the "Device overview" should already take you to a page listing all devices of that type.

I see nothing under Device Overview. How does it get populated?
Looking at the configuration utility, it seems that you poll devices based on SNMP. Does this mean i have to install SNMP on my windows servers if I want them to be discovered as devices such as Mailserver and DNS server? I'm running Lansweeper version 4.2.0.15.

PierreM wrote:
BTW,all discovered devices already exist so why would someone need to "add" a device?

The "Add new device" option is useful if you want to keep track of devices that are not part of your network for instance. It allows you to submit devices completely manually.

Some changes to the "Device overview" are planned for Lansweeper version 5.0, but nothing has been finalized yet. Lansweeper 5.0 is currently in development, but we do not yet have a release date for it.

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
PierreM wrote:

The "Device overview" gets populated based on scanned device types. Devices include printers, routers, modems... It is important to note that Lansweeper currently makes a clear distinction between "computers" and "devices".

PierreM wrote:
Does this mean i have to install SNMP on my windows servers if I want them to be discovered as devices such as Mailserver and DNS server? I'm running Lansweeper version 4.2.0.15.

You cannot scan a machine as both a computer and a device. Lansweeper uses port 135 to determine whether a machine is a computer or a device. If port 135 is open, the machine is deemed a computer. If port 135 is closed, the machine is deemed a device. This implies that a machine cannot be both a computer and a device.

This issue will be addressed in Lansweeper version 5.0, which will merge computers and devices into a single "asset" category. You will also be able to assign a machine to more than one type/group.
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III
Lansweeper wrote:
PierreM wrote:

The "Device overview" gets populated based on scanned device types. Devices include printers, routers, modems... It is important to note that Lansweeper currently makes a clear distinction between "computers" and "devices".

PierreM wrote:
Does this mean i have to install SNMP on my windows servers if I want them to be discovered as devices such as Mailserver and DNS server? I'm running Lansweeper version 4.2.0.15.

You cannot scan a machine as both a computer and a device. Lansweeper uses port 135 to determine whether a machine is a computer or a device. If port 135 is open, the machine is deemed a computer. If port 135 is closed, the machine is deemed a device. This implies that a machine cannot be both a computer and a device.

This issue will be addressed in Lansweeper version 5.0, which will merge computers and devices into a single "asset" category. You will also be able to assign a machine to more than one type/group.

Looking forward to v5.0
Thanks

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now