cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DA
Engaged Sweeper
I just started evaluating Lansweeper and it looks good - especially good for a free product.
Is there any documentation though beyond the pdf that comes with the download. Some basic questions have arisen for me and I'd be glad to find the answers myself if they are available.

- The pdf shows the management console but doesn't explain much about it. I located lsmanage and ran it and I'd guess that the management console is for configuring what gets outputted in the web console. Is that accurate?

- Why is mixed SQL authentication required?
- What's an "unauthorized administrator" (displayed in the Digital Dashboard)? I have eight of them and I don't know what's unauthorized about them.
- I work as a technical consultant and this software will be useful to go into a company and find out what they have. Generating a report for the company would be very useful too. Is there any capability to output reports in some user friendly form?
- Related to working with multiple companies' infrastructures, is anyone using Lansweeper to monitoring multiple remote/untrusted domains? Besides a VPN connection to the untrusted site, is there anyway to run the console at a central site and securely monitoring remote sites. Opening port 135 wouldn't seem to be a viable option.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
rhllc9200
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for all yourhelp but I still have several questions to ask as I do my evaluation. Will I be able to do Remote Control with the Premium version and do all the actions in the Action screen 'cause nothing happens when I click on it on the freeware version?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
rhllc9200 wrote:
Thanks for all yourhelp but I still have several questions to ask as I do my evaluation. Will I be able to do Remote Control with the Premium version and do all the actions in the Action screen 'cause nothing happens when I click on it on the freeware version?

They should also work in the freeware version. (or you should get an error like "file not found" or something)
rhllc9200
Engaged Sweeper
Will all the options in Action Screen(i.e. Trigger Scan, Remote Desktop...) work on the Premium version?
Also I uninstalled Acrobat Reader v9 on one of the PCs that I included in my test but it's still showing on the Software Report on that PC. I rebooted the PC several times already.
Cobra7
Champion Sweeper
rhllc9200 wrote:
Also I uninstalled Acrobat Reader v9 on one of the PCs that I included in my test but it's still showing on the Software Report on that PC. I rebooted the PC several times already.

Turn the scan time to 0 and it will pick up the software change. I suggest setting registry to 0 also.
rhllc9200
Engaged Sweeper
I have several hundreds of laptop out on the filed and these users only logon once a week once in every two weeks via VPN. How does it update their information connecting via VPN? Does it do its active scan once they are connected to the system?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
rhllc9200 wrote:
I have several hundreds of laptop out on the filed and these users only logon once a week once in every two weeks via VPN. How does it update their information connecting via VPN? Does it do its active scan once they are connected to the system?

Yes, or you can just run lsclient in their startup script.
rhllc9200
Engaged Sweeper
I am also seeing "unauthorized administrator" (displayed in the Digital Dashboard). Is lsmanage console only on the premium version?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
rhllc9200 wrote:
I am also seeing "unauthorized administrator" (displayed in the Digital Dashboard). Is lsmanage console only on the premium version?

No, It should be in your start menu if you installed the latest version. (it's called Lansweeper Configuration), the filename is lsmanage.exe
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
In order to make it available as a report, you'll need to create it as a view (name must begin with web30) and add an entry to the tsysreports table. Then you should see it in the Lansweeper Console.