cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThisNerdyGuy
Engaged Sweeper
Hello Lansweeper!

I am running into a peculiar issue with regards to domain scanning.

Our network was setup many years ago by a hackjob. Being a local government entity, we don't have the money to re-do the network and must make do.

When I scan our domain, it is also picking up parts of our sister network's domain.

To explain further, our domain is XYZ.WILCO.ORG and LanSweeper is catching some of WILCO.ORG and some of ABC.WILCO.ORG as well as DEF.WILCO.ORG.

I have my scanning methods set to enable active scanning on MY domain only. No OU filter (because things like phones and such are not in an OU) and no site filter. No Workgroup scanning and the IP address range scanning is set to our current IP ranges.

I feel like it may be the IP range that is bringing in the erroneous devices. Due to the aforementioned hack setup, we have ZERO DHCP addressing which means that my ranges are 10.16.0.0 -> 10.16.255.255. The erroneous devices are within these ranges (there are 4 more sets of exact same size).

TL;DR Should I remove IP address range scanning and just have it check NetBIOS name?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Each scanning method works independently. If the unwanted machines are submitted for IP Address Range Scanning, they will be scanned, regardless of whether or not they're submitted for Active Scanning as well. To confirm which scanning method detected a machine, you can check the Scan Time tab of the machine's Lansweeper webpage.

If IP Address Range Scanning is scanning the unwanted machines, you'll need to narrow down or remove your submitted ranges. An alternative solution would be to add domain exclusions for the unwanted domains in the Domain Scan Exclusions section of Configuration\Scanning Methods. This will prevent the domains from being scanned by any scanning method.

Keep in mind that adjusting your scanning setup only affects future scan attempts. You'll still need to delete any unwanted machines that have already been scanned, by clicking the Assets link at the top of the console, ticking the checkboxes in front of the assets and hitting the Delete button on the left.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Each scanning method works independently. If the unwanted machines are submitted for IP Address Range Scanning, they will be scanned, regardless of whether or not they're submitted for Active Scanning as well. To confirm which scanning method detected a machine, you can check the Scan Time tab of the machine's Lansweeper webpage.

If IP Address Range Scanning is scanning the unwanted machines, you'll need to narrow down or remove your submitted ranges. An alternative solution would be to add domain exclusions for the unwanted domains in the Domain Scan Exclusions section of Configuration\Scanning Methods. This will prevent the domains from being scanned by any scanning method.

Keep in mind that adjusting your scanning setup only affects future scan attempts. You'll still need to delete any unwanted machines that have already been scanned, by clicking the Assets link at the top of the console, ticking the checkboxes in front of the assets and hitting the Delete button on the left.