cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob-CD
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi All,

I am currently still pretty early in the process of setting up Lansweeper for our use, getting global credentials setup etc. And have noticed that for some switches it has duplicated the record several times over due to it registering on different IP addresses at times.

Is there anyway that Lansweeper can register this as only one record and continually update that one record when it traces new or amendable information? As it's making out the records as having traced more switches that it actually has.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rob
5 REPLIES 5
fjca
Champion Sweeper II
Rob-CD wrote:
Hi All,

I am currently still pretty early in the process of setting up Lansweeper for our use, getting global credentials setup etc. And have noticed that for some switches it has duplicated the record several times over due to it registering on different IP addresses at times.

Is there anyway that Lansweeper can register this as only one record and continually update that one record when it traces new or amendable information? As it's making out the records as having traced more switches that it actually has.

Many thanks,
Rob

You probably have switches that respond to several IP's, or are part of a active-active cluster and the main chassis changed. Most switches hava an option for fixing the IP that responds on SNMP queries (it's generally the management IP, but not always), my advice is to do that, fix the source IP that will respond to SNMP ... it will also fix some issues on your NMS servers...
Rob-CD
Engaged Sweeper II
fjca wrote:
Rob-CD wrote:
Hi All,

Many thanks,
Rob

You probably have switches that respond to several IP's, or are part of a active-active cluster and the main chassis changed. Most switches hava an option for fixing the IP that responds on SNMP queries (it's generally the management IP, but not always), my advice is to do that, fix the source IP that will respond to SNMP ... it will also fix some issues on your NMS servers...

Cheers for the info.

I'll need to investigate some more with our Network guys to see why the 4 switches in question (Nexus 7009's) are creating so many duplicate asset lines for the same device, using this information.

Thanks,
Rob
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
Yes.. it uses MAC address to track asset.. under Configuration/Option scroll towards bottom and check

"Detect when a Windows computer has been renamed. "

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
PeterG wrote:
Yes.. it uses MAC address to track asset.. under Configuration/Option scroll towards bottom and check

Windows rename detection only works for Windows asset though. So it won't affect switches. However switches are indeed uniquely identified by their MAC address. You can find out how all the asset types are identified in this article.

If your switches respond to multiple IP's and those IP's are scanned at the same time, this could indeed cause multiple assets being created.
Rob-CD
Engaged Sweeper II
PeterG wrote:

Hi Peter,

To check should this option be ticked or un-ticked? It's currently ticked.

Thanks,
Rob