cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igor_muravsky
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper version: 5.3.0.33
Website version: 5333

I have Cisco 4500x switch. It has enabled and configured SNMP v2 (other monitoring system poll it without issue). Proper Lansweeper host added as Permitted to RO SNMP. Lanweeper has proper SNMP Conmunity string and it attached to proper network. From Lansweeper machine with third party tools I can easily poll this Switch, but Lansweeper gives me "Enable SNMP to scan Cisco devices" error.

Please assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Just an FYI for everyone else: Igor's switch wasn't properly responding to SNMPv2 requests for some reason. His issue was resolved by creating an SNMPv1-only credential in Lansweeper for the switch. When you create an SNMP credential under Configuration\Scanning Credentials, there is an option to only use SNMPv1 or SNMPv2.

emarroyo wrote:
Hey Susan,

We had this issue, but before I posted here I checked with my WAN group and they by an IRS directive had to turn off SNMP scanning for our router and switches. Will that edit above verify that information?

Thanks in advance...

I'm not sure I understand your question. You can use Devicetester.exe, found in Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Actions on your Lansweeper server, to test access to device protocols, if this is what you're asking. If SNMP is disabled on your routers and switches, as you seem to indicate, data returned for these devices will be limited.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Bart_E
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
The devicetester can be used to verify which protocols are open on a device. It would be best to check your device documentation on how to enable SNMP on it. After enabling SNMP you can scan the device by following the instructions in this article. Enabling debug mode can provide some additional information but should only be done if asked by the Lansweeper support team. Enabling debug mode will significantly increase the size of your Errorlog.txt file.
emarroyo
Engaged Sweeper III
hey Susan,

was asking if the code snippet:
<appSettings>
<add key="debug" value="1"/>
<add key="LogSnmp" value="7"/>
<add key="LogSnmpPass" value="7"/>
<add key="LogIpMain" value="7"/>
<add key="LogDeviceDuplicates" value="7"/>
</appSettings>

would show that SNMP was turned off on the routers/switches. I just used Devicetester as indicated and that did show me SNMP was turned off.
emarroyo
Engaged Sweeper III
Hey Susan,

We had this issue, but before I posted here I checked with my WAN group and they by an IRS directive had to turn off SNMP scanning for our router and switches. Will that edit above verify that information?

Thanks in advance...
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Just an FYI for everyone else: Igor's switch wasn't properly responding to SNMPv2 requests for some reason. His issue was resolved by creating an SNMPv1-only credential in Lansweeper for the switch. When you create an SNMP credential under Configuration\Scanning Credentials, there is an option to only use SNMPv1 or SNMPv2.

emarroyo wrote:
Hey Susan,

Thanks in advance...

I'm not sure I understand your question. You can use Devicetester.exe, found in Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Actions on your Lansweeper server, to test access to device protocols, if this is what you're asking. If SNMP is disabled on your routers and switches, as you seem to indicate, data returned for these devices will be limited.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We received and answered this question via email as well. Below is a copy of the response we sent via email, for anyone else interested.
Could you do the following to help us troubleshoot:
  • Stop the Lansweeper Server service in Windows Services.
  • Open the configuration file on your Lansweeper server (Program Files x86)\Lansweeper\Service\Lansweeperservice.exe.config)
  • Edit the app settings within the file to:
    <appSettings>
    <add key="debug" value="1"/>
    <add key="LogSnmp" value="7"/>
    <add key="LogSnmpPass" value="7"/>
    <add key="LogIpMain" value="7"/>
    <add key="LogDeviceDuplicates" value="7"/>
    </appSettings>

• Restart the Lansweeper service.
  • Rescan the problem Cisco device by hitting the "Rescan Asset' button on the asset page and wait for your scanning queue to clear.

Afterwards, please provide us with the information below to help us troubleshoot. Thanks in advance!
  • Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Service\Errorlog.txt, as present on your Lansweeper server.
  • Screenshots of the Lansweeper webpage of the Cisco device you tested. Show us the following tabs: Summary, Errors (if it exists).
  • Screenshot of a connection test performed to the same Cisco device with devicetester.exe, which can be found in Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Actions on your Lansweeper server. Perform the test from your Lansweeper server to the device, submit your SNMP credential and show us the entire test window.