cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimH
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

I am looking for a way to exclude a remote site from being scanned. I am using Active Scanning with a single Active Directory Domain.

Is there a way to tell the Lansweeper server not to scan a group of computers? Maybe by OU or site?

I know there is no way to exclude an IP range and I would rather not have to put in IP exclusions for all of the addresses individually.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Active Scanning doesn't allow you to exclude OUs. You can only do the reverse: specify that only specific OUs should be scanned. Note that:
- All scanning methods work independently. Machines submitted for IP Address Range Scanning will be scanned regardless of whether or not they're submitted for Active Scanning as well. You will need to check each scanning method's configuration.
- Changing your configuration only affects future scan attempts. To delete unwanted machines that have already been scanned, click the Assets link at the top of the web console, tick the checkboxes in front of the assets and hit the Delete button on the left.
- IP exclusions only affect IP Address Range Scanning. To exclude Windows computers from all scanning methods, you should submit their NetBIOS names in the Windows Computer Scan Exclusions section of Configuration/Scanning Setup/Scanning Methods. You can use % as a wildcard. E.g. %lan% excludes any computer whose name includes the word "lan".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TimH
Engaged Sweeper III
I understand what you are saying. It's just that the configuration I currently have is working well and has been for a long time. I don't want to change it just for one troublesome site. I will consider changing the OU's that I am scanning so that I can omit this site in AD.

Thanks again!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Ideally, you would configure your main scanning server's scanning methods so they don't scan your remote sites. How you do this depends on which scanning method(s) you're using. You can specify that Active Scanning should only scan certain OUs, narrow down the IP ranges submitted for IP Address Range Scanning etc.
TimH
Engaged Sweeper III
Ah, ok. I understand.

I think the wildcard option my just work for me since all of these machines have a common string in the hostname. And since they are all setup to use lspush I will still get the information I need.

Thanks for your help! - again 🙂
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
TimH wrote:
And since they are all setup to use lspush I will still get the information I need.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Note that, if you exclude a machine from scanning by submitting its name in the Windows Computer Scan Exclusions section of Configuration/Scanning Setup/Scanning Methods, it will be excluded from ALL scanning methods, including LsPush.
TimH
Engaged Sweeper III
Lansweeper wrote:
TimH wrote:
And since they are all setup to use lspush I will still get the information I need.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Note that, if you exclude a machine from scanning by submitting its name in the Windows Computer Scan Exclusions section of Configuration/Scanning Setup/Scanning Methods, it will be excluded from ALL scanning methods, including LsPush.

Ah, ok. Well then, I guess I am out of luck with those machines. The bandwidth between that remote site and us is very limited and we cannot afford to have them scanned by the Lansweeper server. It takes up too much of their bandwidth.

Thanks again!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Active Scanning doesn't allow you to exclude OUs. You can only do the reverse: specify that only specific OUs should be scanned. Note that:
- All scanning methods work independently. Machines submitted for IP Address Range Scanning will be scanned regardless of whether or not they're submitted for Active Scanning as well. You will need to check each scanning method's configuration.
- Changing your configuration only affects future scan attempts. To delete unwanted machines that have already been scanned, click the Assets link at the top of the web console, tick the checkboxes in front of the assets and hit the Delete button on the left.
- IP exclusions only affect IP Address Range Scanning. To exclude Windows computers from all scanning methods, you should submit their NetBIOS names in the Windows Computer Scan Exclusions section of Configuration/Scanning Setup/Scanning Methods. You can use % as a wildcard. E.g. %lan% excludes any computer whose name includes the word "lan".