cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alongejm
Engaged Sweeper
We have servers and storage that have multiple network cards for redundancy. Depending on what NIC is in control of the IP at the time a new host may be added. This often happens with our ESX hosts and our storage that have two controllers. I have switched the asset to use IP address as the unique identifier but I can see this becoming a problem as we swap out physical devices for newer hardware. Example, installing a new VMWare host with same name just newer hardware. We still need to track the old hardware that may be used form something else. Does anyone know if you can use service tag as a unique identifier? I feel like that would be a better way to do it. Its unique to the hardware and we could do real asset tracking that way.
1 REPLY 1
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper doesn't really let you choose the unique identifier of an asset. The unique ID is chosen based on the asset type and the information retrieved.

Best way I've found to handle examples where new machines (or NICs) would overwrite old ones is to rename or change the unique ID of the old device before a rescan happens and the data is overwritten.