cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frederik_Hansen
Engaged Sweeper II
I'm having an issue with one of my laptop assets where its IP isn't set correctly. The adress it's set to is its Wifi IP, which is still logged in our DHCP and not the LAN adress which is the current one. I can see on the network page of the asset, that the MAC and IP adresses are correct, but Lansweeper just uses the wrong one. I've tried setting it manually, and yet it still scans and pings on the wrong one. Any reason why it does this?

Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
I'm not sure which ping feature you're referring to, as there are several. If you're referring to the online status indicator documented here: this pings the computer name, not the IP address. Changing the IP address manually will have no effect on the online status indicator. If the status indicator is saying the machine is offline when it isn't, there is either a DNS issue (computer name pointing to the wrong IP address) or the machine is firewalled.

Hitting Rescan on the asset page triggers a connection to the computer name (not the IP address) as well by the way. Most scanning methods connect to the computer name, the exception being IP Address Range Scanning. If DNS is pointing to an incorrect IP, scanning with name based scanning methods will cause the computer's "main" IP to be incorrectly identified and the scan to fail. You can see which scanning methods scanned a machine and when in the computer's Scan Time tab.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
I'm not sure which ping feature you're referring to, as there are several. If you're referring to the online status indicator documented here: this pings the computer name, not the IP address. Changing the IP address manually will have no effect on the online status indicator. If the status indicator is saying the machine is offline when it isn't, there is either a DNS issue (computer name pointing to the wrong IP address) or the machine is firewalled.

Hitting Rescan on the asset page triggers a connection to the computer name (not the IP address) as well by the way. Most scanning methods connect to the computer name, the exception being IP Address Range Scanning. If DNS is pointing to an incorrect IP, scanning with name based scanning methods will cause the computer's "main" IP to be incorrectly identified and the scan to fail. You can see which scanning methods scanned a machine and when in the computer's Scan Time tab.
Frederik_Hansen
Engaged Sweeper II
But why does it, when I've manually set an IP address for the PC, ping to the wrong/old address?
I solved the issue by connecting the computer to Wifi whilst it was still connected on LAN. Funny thing is though, it connects to the LAN address just perfectly now even though the LAN access has not changed.
Thanks a lot for the quick respons BTW 🙂
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
The IP address listed at the top of a computer webpage is the IP address the computer had during its last successful scan, if this is what you're referring to. Further down the Summary tab, there is a full list of all (IP enabled) network cards and their IP addresses.

If a computer's "main" IP is set to a particular IP address, I'm assuming that IP address is submitted for IP Address Range Scanning under Configuration\Scanning Methods (in which case you can exclude it) or the computer's name is resolving to that IP address (in which case you'll need to check your DNS settings).