cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhermsen
Engaged Sweeper II
Is it possible to lock down which scanning server will scan an item? We've got multiple sites each with their own scan server and MPLS links between them and would like to reduce the traffic across the links but I can't seem to keep "off-site" servers from scanning assets in other location. I'll go in and set the scanning server on an asset and a short time later it will have flipped back to an "off-site" server. This is especially getting us pretty bad as the server in our smallest location with the smallest pipe seems to want to keep picking up hundreds of assets from the other locations.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The scan server can't be locked on the asset pages of scanned assets. After an asset has been scanned, its scanning server will always be updated to the one which performed the scan. As mentioned by jprateragg, the most secure way to prevent inter-site scanning is using IP range scanning only and configure each scanning server to scan the IP ranges in his own network.
Active scanning is a good way to keep track of computers which irregularly logon to your network. But if you have computers which are moving between different sites, it will be difficult to ensure that Active scanning won't scan them from another site (domain controller logon entries do not get synchronized between domain controllers).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bhermsen
Engaged Sweeper II
That was the answer that I assumed would be correct. Looks like I'll be shutting down the active scanning and just leaving the IP range scans running instead of doing both.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The scan server can't be locked on the asset pages of scanned assets. After an asset has been scanned, its scanning server will always be updated to the one which performed the scan. As mentioned by jprateragg, the most secure way to prevent inter-site scanning is using IP range scanning only and configure each scanning server to scan the IP ranges in his own network.
Active scanning is a good way to keep track of computers which irregularly logon to your network. But if you have computers which are moving between different sites, it will be difficult to ensure that Active scanning won't scan them from another site (domain controller logon entries do not get synchronized between domain controllers).
bhermsen
Engaged Sweeper II
I do have them set up with IP scanning ranges but I think it's the active scanning piece that's getting me as it's mostly Windows machines that are crossing over.
jprateragg
Champion Sweeper
Why not just configure each Lansweeper server to scan a specific IP range? http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/110/scanning-with-ip-address-range-scanning.html