cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandon_jones
Champion Sweeper III
Today I replaced an older computer with a new one. The new one has the same name as the old one. When I was preparing the new one I joined it to the domain and named it the same name but just added the letter A at the end. After I did updates and loaded some custom software, I removed the old computer from the domain, and removed the "a" from the end of the new computer name. When I got back to my desk I was going to make the old computer inactive in lansweeper, but the new computer had been scanned and the old asset was totally gone. I searched for the old systems serial number and it was no where to be found.

In the future do I need to make the old computer inactive in lansweeper, then join the new one to the domain with the same name?
3 REPLIES 3
fjca
Champion Sweeper II
Check the "Comments" tab on the machine main page, it they where renamed, it should appear on that.
brandon_jones
Champion Sweeper III
I understand why they were merged, but I do not see anything in the history or anything. I guess it will be better to take the old computer off the domain, disable it in inventory, then add the new computer to the domain. Would the records still get merged?
FrankSc
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support
Hello,

Lansweeper will automatically merge 2 assets if they hold the same unique identifier. For Windows computers there is also a built-in mechanism called "Windows rename detection. Based upon your description, we assume both asset got merged into one.
More information can be found in the following KB article:

• https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-lansweeper-uniquely-identifies-assets/

For specific cases, you can send an email to support@lansweeper.com