cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john-skrhak
Engaged Sweeper

I am in the process of upgrading my copy of LanSweeper and having to move our database to a new 2019 SQL Server installation.  When going through these instructions, Move your database from SQL LocalDB to SQL Server - Lansweeper Maintenance - Lansweeper Community, during step 4 I get prompted to create an installation directory, when all I want the install to do is create the new SQL Server database.  I do not understand why an installation directory needs to be created on SQL Server?  Can you tell me what is all installed? 

For security reasons we would like to not have to install LanSweeper on the database server, and have LanSweeper installed on 2 separate servers, like our current setup.  Is this possible?  Can we just copy the current database to the new SQL Server installation and then upgrade both LanSweeper servers using the installation file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
David_GF
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hi @john-skrhak 

If the installer is asking for an installation directory is because is trying to install the web server and/or the scan server. As per the screenshot it the step 4, you need to only select the New Lansweeper database option and follow the instructions in the article. Please notice that the article you linked is to move from LocalDB to SQL Server. If your current Lansweeper DB is on a SQL Server already and you want to move it to a new server, please follow the instructions in this article: https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/lansweeper-maintenance/move-your-sql-server-database-to-a-differ...

Of course you can have the Lansweeper server and the SQL server in separate servers by following the above KB article. We do not recommend to simply move the DB to the new server as this will cause authentication and connectivity issues.

~~~~~~~ (〃 ̄︶ ̄)人( ̄︶ ̄〃) ~~~~~~~
Sweep that LAN, sweep it!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
David_GF
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hi @john-skrhak 

If the installer is asking for an installation directory is because is trying to install the web server and/or the scan server. As per the screenshot it the step 4, you need to only select the New Lansweeper database option and follow the instructions in the article. Please notice that the article you linked is to move from LocalDB to SQL Server. If your current Lansweeper DB is on a SQL Server already and you want to move it to a new server, please follow the instructions in this article: https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/lansweeper-maintenance/move-your-sql-server-database-to-a-differ...

Of course you can have the Lansweeper server and the SQL server in separate servers by following the above KB article. We do not recommend to simply move the DB to the new server as this will cause authentication and connectivity issues.

~~~~~~~ (〃 ̄︶ ̄)人( ̄︶ ̄〃) ~~~~~~~
Sweep that LAN, sweep it!

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now