cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CVannest
Engaged Sweeper III
I see that Lansweeper allows me to report on certain USB devices connected to PCs across the enterprise, however not all devices are listed. I read in another post that it was due to a certain criteria for the device not being recognized?

If I have a device ID and other information for the USB Credit Card Reader, can I create a report that way?

Thank you,
Carl
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
FYI: USB devices will be in the next beta of version 6.0. Anyone interested in the beta can contact support@lansweeper.com. Include "beta" in the title of your message and we'll send you a download link and all necessary details.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
FYI: USB devices will be in the next beta of version 6.0. Anyone interested in the beta can contact support@lansweeper.com. Include "beta" in the title of your message and we'll send you a download link and all necessary details.
CVannest
Engaged Sweeper III
Susan,

I was able to speak with our rep with our credit card company and get details on the registry entry created when a device is connected to a PC. I created a Registry scan for that entry and have been able to see some pretty good results. I've got the device manufacturer looking at re-writing their registry creation so when the device is unplugged it updates the registry key with a new variable. This will help me keep a solid inventory on what's plugged in and what's not. I'm under PCI regulations so inventory of devices in the field is critical and with over 100 retail locations that's not easy to do without an automated system!

Appreciate your response,
Carl
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper simply does not scan all USB connected devices for now. This feature is on our customer wish list, but we do not have a release date for it. Keyboards and mice are scanned for instance, because these have their own WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) classes, but other devices like headphones and credit card readers are not.

The only way to scan additional data that is not scanned by default is through custom file or registry scanning, which are documented here and here. We're not sure this is an option in your case however. Registry scanning can only scan specific registry values for instance and specific USB card readers will likely have their own registry values. Another possible workaround if your Lansweeper license allows it would be to create a deployment package to retrieve the information and print it to a file. There's no built-in functionality to have deployment data added to your Lansweeper database though.