cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
I noticed that line mentioned in the release notes for a version a couple ago (which we skipped--we were on the March release), and after upgrading to the latest version I noticed the Unlock prompt for the first time upon logging in to Lansweeper. So I provided an email, obtained the key, and applied it.

But I notice this across the top of the main screen now: "You already used a trial key. Lansweeper has reverted to freeware mode. Purchase Lansweeper here."

And upon entering the licensing screen, see: "You already used a trial key. This key is unauthorised."

That's confusing to say the least. Maybe it would be cleaner taken off the main screen and rewritten (for the licensing area only)?

V. 6.0.151.34. Far under 100 assets, so I'll just ignore it for now.
9 REPLIES 9
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
OK, thanks. It's been a long time since it was initially installed, and it'a hard to recall how that went. It sounds like the key was just built-in rather than requested and applied.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
The new versions have been designed to require a license key in the installation in order to use it. Since the old trial we had did not include a license key (it was based on the first install of the software), the new versions can't detect a previous key.

I'll forward the suggestion internally, but it might take some time for this to change (if it changes at all) as this isn't just a pure technical issue but also has to looked at from a sales and marketing perspective.
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
Note that the message along the top includes "You already used a trial key." That part, at least, is new.

But that wouldn't have been needed to be displayed if the new installer didn't ask for it again.

Which is the crux of the matter: I think the installer is erroneously asking for a new key when it shouldn't be. It should recognize what mode it's already in and simply proceed if it's the free mode.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Since you already used a trial, the message at the top is accurate in this case.

After a trial key runs out, or if you've already used a trial key in the past, Lansweeper will revert to the free version. A message will be displayed at the top of the web console notifying you that you are on the free version.

If you want to use the free version, you can just keep using Lansweeper, even if your trial period runs out. However, the message alerting you that you are in free mode can't be removed unless you buy a license (or contact our sales team).

If you want to use the free version, you will always have the message.
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
So, I guess we can conclude from this that using the free version is not valid, otherwise the prompt would never have come up. The flaw in the new version seems to be its inability to distinguish between once having applied a trial key (everyone does this at the start), letting it expire, and then using the free license...and something else, which I assume from your earlier comment, is piracy.

Also, note that there is no letting the new trial key expire: it instantly expires in this context, as expected, since it should never have been applied in the first place.

Will the lengthy and misleading message along the top of the screen itself ever expire?
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
If you update to the latest version, Lansweeper will check if you have already had a trial or not (this includes the first install trial we used to have). Based on that the prompt will come up to ask you for an email address so a trial key can be sent and the installation can be unlocked.

There is no way to skip it. If you want to use the free version. You will have to apply a new trial key and then let it expire.

As for trial keys that have been added. There is no way to remove them.
mc_connected
Engaged Sweeper II
I ran into the same thing and I too might have missed a Skip option. Is there a way to "unapply" the accidental trial key?
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
I wouldn't have tried, except after upgrading to this version I was forced to upon accessing the site for the first time. That seems consistent with the "Submitting an email address is now required" part.

I guess it's possible that there was a "Skip" on that form, and if so, I missed it, but it sounds like it shouldn't have come up in the first place (because a key had already been applied long ago, and no doubt that came via email), which might be the root of the issue.

Clearly there should be a way of removing the effect of the second key. And it says that it's already in freeware mode, which I've long known. This information used to be restricted to the licensing screen before I was asked to apply a second key.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Hi Seiler,

When using a trial key in Lansweeper, it is currently not possible to add a second automatically generated trial key. If you try and add it anyway, you will get the message "You already used a trial key. This key is unauthorised."

Since you are far below the 100 asset count, you don't need to do anything really. Once a trial runs out, Lansweeper will revert to the freeware. As for the messages, they can't be removed for obvious reasons ;).

If you do not have a trial with unlimited assets and all of Lansweeper's features, you can always contact our sales team to request one.