cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianinca
Engaged Sweeper II
I retired an old on-prem RMM and decided to get familiar with LS package deployments with an uninstall routine.

This seems to have worked, according to the logs.

The inventory, which has updated, still shows this product installed on over a hundred machines. This includes a VM that hasn't had the product installed in several years, so it never should have shown up on initial inventory.

Am I holding my mouth wrong here, or what? Great product so far, just trying to iron out the wrinkles.
5 REPLIES 5
brianinca
Engaged Sweeper II
I did manually rescan, I was hoping for a more automated uninstall routine than with Goverlan - picking from a list of inventoried applications seems very civilized! I've since had other products fail to uninstall, but that's OK, I get it.

Thank you again for all the info in this thread.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Yeah, as Jacob mentioned, Lansweeper basically looks at the same registry entries as add/remove programs.

If that is not it, make sure you do a manual rescan of the asset by going to it's page and using the "rescan asset" button there. Normal scanning targets will adhere to the scanned item intervals (which you can also change).
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
I have cases where an uninstall will uninstall the program but will leave it in add/remove programs, which is what LS reports on as far as software being on a computer.

In my case, I had to make a different report to report on either registry keys or report on the windows service still being on the machine, to get an idea of what actually still had the application... until I cleaned up the stragglers with the partial uninstall.
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Hi Brian,

Most likely the software you are uninstalling isn't completing uninstalling, eg it is leaving some registry keys behind.

I would suggest using something like UnInstall Tool to see if anything is being left behind when uninstalling. It can be used to trace installs, as well as uninstalls. So I would test it in a VM to see what is being left behind.

Most likely there are registry entries being left behind in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

If that is the case Lansweeper is still seeing these key's thinking the software is still installed. You can actually have the Lansweeper deployment delete these keys with a simple REG DEL command in dos.

I had a similar issue with MS Project 2010 as the installer doesn't remove the registration information.
Thank you much for the suggestion and info, I appreciate it.

CyberCitizen wrote:
Hi Brian,

Most likely the software you are uninstalling isn't completing uninstalling, eg it is leaving some registry keys behind.

I would suggest using something like UnInstall Tool to see if anything is being left behind when uninstalling. It can be used to trace installs, as well as uninstalls. So I would test it in a VM to see what is being left behind.

Most likely there are registry entries being left behind in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

If that is the case Lansweeper is still seeing these key's thinking the software is still installed. You can actually have the Lansweeper deployment delete these keys with a simple REG DEL command in dos.

I had a similar issue with MS Project 2010 as the installer doesn't remove the registration information.