cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nilesf
Engaged Sweeper
I wonder if it is possible to remotely uninstall software listed in the Software Report page via Lansweeper. maybe a psexec.exe command line that would automaticlly find the uninstall string on the computer and simply run the msiexec.exe to uninstall the software.
5 REPLIES 5
james_mitchell
Engaged Sweeper II
MSIs are easy to do uninstall, but other packages can be a pain. The best way to do this would be check if its MSI if so just use psexec to remotely uninstall, if not make a VNC connection running the uninstall string specificed in registry.
kaarde
Engaged Sweeper III
You have to take into account that the uninstall process is not universal. 50% of the vendor don't publish the uninstall string to the registry but sometimes you get lucky and you even get the quiet unistall string. Or like IBM usually does, you can get an unistall utility to uninstall the crap from new computers.....but.....you get a 50% chance of screwing the whole workstation. The trick i use for remote uninstall is looking in dameware NT Utility each software that as either an uninstall string or quiet uninstall and try it on a test machine. You'll be surprised as to how many times this does not work 🙂 But when it does.....damn it's fun. My point here is that even though remote uninstall is great, i think Lansweeper should only recover the strings and even there, some will always be stating that lansweeper does not list that software string or this software string when in fact there is none. But the option to actually uninstall a piece of software should be left out of lansweeper and stay in the hand of the admin to do a custom action with it

nilesf
Engaged Sweeper
Any updates on getting this into Lansweeper? How hard is it to add the uninstall string into the database and have and uninstall option in the Lansweeper Action Screen or somewhere? Just curious.

Thanks,
Niles
nilesf
Engaged Sweeper
Is there an E.T.A. as to when the next version will be available? The uninstall option would be very nice to have.

Thanks,
Niles
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Maybe in a next version I can gather the uninstall string from the registry and store it in the database.