cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ed
Engaged Sweeper III
I have a question about Lansweeper's ability to get Windows product keys. Some of my Windows products show as having unrecoverable MAK keys. I have found nothing on how to get that data within Lansweeper. I do know you can retrieve that info from the computer using a simple powershell command (wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey) and I do know you can also locate it from the registry if needed using a script. Is Lansweeper unable to retrieve this data or is there a limitation of some sort retrieving this data?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper scans license keys as and if they are stored in the registry of your network computers. For MAK (Multiple Activation) keys in particular, Lansweeper will not be able to scan them as they are not stored in the registry. Lansweeper is showing you an informational message that the machine is using a MAK key, but that the key itself cannot be recovered. Unfortunately, there is currently nothing we can do about this issue as this is how Microsoft uses MAK keys.

As this has been asked by our customers before, the ability to recover MAK keys if possible is currently on our customer wish list. I've moved your post to the wishlist section in this context. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with an estimated release date for when/if this might be implemented in a future Lansweeper release.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper scans license keys as and if they are stored in the registry of your network computers. For MAK (Multiple Activation) keys in particular, Lansweeper will not be able to scan them as they are not stored in the registry. Lansweeper is showing you an informational message that the machine is using a MAK key, but that the key itself cannot be recovered. Unfortunately, there is currently nothing we can do about this issue as this is how Microsoft uses MAK keys.

As this has been asked by our customers before, the ability to recover MAK keys if possible is currently on our customer wish list. I've moved your post to the wishlist section in this context. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with an estimated release date for when/if this might be implemented in a future Lansweeper release.