cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chasselsls
Engaged Sweeper
I have 2 domains and several other workgroups. Main domain is called mtvan it's a Samba domain and the Lansweeper Win2k3 machine is just a workstation part of the mtvan domain. The other domain is a Windows-based domain named mcgregor-thompson.com (pre-windows 2000 domain is called CORP). LS works fine for the mtvan domain via login script. I would like to use active scanning (we have a premium membership) so I added

mhd01.mcgregor-thompson.com mhd01
mt_srv.mcgregor-thompson.com mt_srv

to the list of domains in active scanning and added alternative credentials. mt_srv is the domain controller for the mtvan domain and mhd01 is the Win2k3 server DC for the corp domain . I added the DNS suffix setting for untrusted domains setup and I can ping all the above entries.
Active scanning is not working and in errorlog.txt I get

10/8/2009 10:58:51 AM: mhd01.mcgregor-thompson.com A local error occurred.
10/8/2009 10:58:52 AM: mt_srv.mcgregor-thompson.com The server is not operational.

Before I added the DNS suffix I would get "server is not operational" for both.

Also, for workgroups, I saw the knowledgebase answer to use WORKGROUP and ./username as alternative credentials - is WORKGROUP really the computername or the workgroup in which is computername resides?
5 REPLIES 5
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
PM send
chasselsls
Engaged Sweeper
And that's the problem I'm trying to solve - active scanning in AD domains, please read my messages again and you will find that the mcgregor-thompson.com (pre-windows name CORP) is an AD domain and when I try to use active scanning with it I get "a local error occurred" in the errorlog.txt . What should I do next?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Active scanning only works for active directory domains.

For workgroups or samba domains you will need to use lsclient.
chasselsls
Engaged Sweeper
I tried to telnet to mhd01 the Windows DC and it's fine I do get a connection for both computername and FQDN. On mt_srv which is the Linux with Samba box I get "connect failed" as I don't use LDAP with Samba so no LDAP service running, do I need LDAP account management in Samba for active scanning to work? But mt_srv and the Samba domain is not that important as LS works fine via the login script. The critical part is mhd01 and the CORP domain which is an AD domain.

For workgroup, I added the alternative credentials with workgroup and .\username. Now what do i put in the active scanning section, Domain DNS Name = workgroup and Domain Netbiosname = computername?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
To test your domaincontrollers in different domains.

Try to telnet to port 389 (LDAP) on both computername and FQDN name to see if it resolves correctly.

Especially with .com names I've seen some people resolving to the internet instead of the local domain.

Workgroups are not "officially" supported but WORKGROUP is the name of the workgroup if you use the latest lsclient.exe