cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgmzone
Engaged Sweeper
A few thoughts and questions:

* I notice that the focus (as far as uniquely identifying devices) in Lansweeper is the computer name. In the life of a PC asset in our environment the computer can change a number of times as it is passed from user to user, or from location to location. Therefore, for asset management purposes we use the serial number, since it is a unique identifier. To resolve this I think I will need to link to a table of assets with serial numbers as the primary key and perhaps build an interface from which I can link to detail information in Lansweeper. Is anyone else doing something like this?

* On a related note, I need to track other information about assets (physical location including address, accounting code for the department that "owns" the asset, etc.). Are others doing this as well? Again, with another table in Lansweeper? If I add the tables to the Lansweeper DB will they be overwritten by future upgrades?

* What happens when assets are removed from AD? If I delete a computer in AD can it be "flagged" somehow in Lansweeper?

* Is anyone else trying to use Lansweeper for software asset and license management? Again, I think I need a few more tables if I am going to try to make this work.

Just wondering if others might be dealing with these issues. Thanks in advance for your input.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Maybe this thread has a partial answer : http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst798_computer-updated-instead-of-a-new-one-added.aspx

Deleted computers in AD are never removed (to keep historical data).

We are planning custom fields in the next lansweeper version which you can edit yourself.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rmorgan
Engaged Sweeper
First off, I would like to say the Lansweeper is a great program and it continues to get better with every release. That said, on to my problem.

I like the idea about keeping historical data.

But... I would also like Lansweeper to report if a computer is or is not currently in AD. If I am to use Lansweeper for software license tracking, it does me no good to look at the "All Installed Software" report or the "Software License Compliance" report if it is reporting on all "historical" software as well.

It is totally screwing up my active license numbers. Is there a way to simply flag current AD computers and add this as a filter on the above reports?

Thanks and keep up the great work.
Cobra7
Champion Sweeper
rmorgan wrote:

But... I would also like Lansweeper to report if a computer is or is not currently in AD. If I am to use Lansweeper for software license tracking, it does me no good to look at the "All Installed Software" report or the "Software License Compliance" report if it is reporting on all "historical" software as well.

This would help out a lot. Some of our computers connect only via the VPN and don't get seen. Our AD is kept up to date so those computers are kept on there. Trying to find computers that were removed is a real pain (I don't need historical data myself) as I need to let it sit for a few weeks then start comparing the LS console to our AD, and when you have over 1500 computers it can be a bit of a pain. I put in a suggestion a while back to have computers not in AD show blue and maybe have a sort by normal, blue and red.
MoultonCollege
Engaged Sweeper
I've added information about the location and asset number of the machine into the registry on the machine, using a little VBS. then configured Lansweeper to scan that registry key. I've not worked out how to do reports with it in yet, but its all a work in progress

Hope this may help you
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Maybe this thread has a partial answer : http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst798_computer-updated-instead-of-a-new-one-added.aspx

We are planning custom fields in the next lansweeper version which you can edit yourself.