cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hyvokar
Engaged Sweeper II

Hi, 

quick question, any idea how to estimate how much load vcenter scanning puts on virtual infrastructure?
We got 10 servers connected to vcenter and running around 1500VMs 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DavidPK
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

1500 assets for 1 scanning server shouldnt be an issue. Scanning servers requirements differ for every customer and depends on all the variables within your environment i.e what kind of assets are being scanned(Windows, Linux, Mac.) at what frequency they are being scanned(multiple times a day, once a day, etc) configurations, thus we don't have any benchmarks only general rule of approximately 5k assets per scanning server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DavidPK
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

1500 assets for 1 scanning server shouldnt be an issue. Scanning servers requirements differ for every customer and depends on all the variables within your environment i.e what kind of assets are being scanned(Windows, Linux, Mac.) at what frequency they are being scanned(multiple times a day, once a day, etc) configurations, thus we don't have any benchmarks only general rule of approximately 5k assets per scanning server.

hyvokar
Engaged Sweeper II

Hi and thank you for your reply. 

I tested this on our enviroment and cannot notice any load on vcenter or esxi hosts. 
Would I be right assuming that vcenter scan wont scan the VMs running on esxi hosts, but for more detailed information they need to be scanned using different methods? 

DavidPK
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hi,

Scanned vCenter data includes datacenters, datastores, clusters, ESXi hosts, VMware guests and more. vCenter is an indirect scan and will be somewhat limited in the amount of info for those VMS. If you want more detail you will wont to scan the VMware servers directly. 

More info can be found here:

How to scan a VMware server - Lansweeper Community

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now