cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tlau
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

Been testing out LanSweeper (free version) and slowly coming to grips with it.

Just a few questions:

1. I have one computer detected that has errors (identified by red icon). Strange thing is the ip address is an external one - 210.56.82.31 - belonging to crusader.hostingbay.net and the computer name is "All ()". How did this get detected by LanSweeper?

2. Scan is scheduled for every 1 day, lsclient is in login script and have configured item wait time to 0 for those info that I need updated daily. Which item covers computer description?

3. If I change the computer description, does the daily scheduled scan update the details (assuming no one logs in after I made the changes so lsclient hasn't run) or does it still need to run lsclient before it updates the changes?

4. Does anyone have any documentation or tips on how to get LanSweeper to work with HP thin clients running Windows CE e.g. HP T5300 & T5530.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
tlau
Engaged Sweeper
Can't find any that rings a bell in that list. If I did find a familiar name, I don't understand how it can get onto lansweeper.

Lsclient needs to run and this is only through the domain logon script. All remote access to our network is by Citrix, either through the Citrix Gateway using the web client or through a vpn tunnel and then using the full citrix client.

Either way, the logon script only gets triggered on the Citrix server and not on their own machine. After 2 weeks of scanning, there isn't a single remote machine on the list, only AD machines.

Very strange. But thanks for your help, especially that link which is very useful.

Have you come across anything like this before?

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
tlau wrote:
Have you come across anything like this before?

Yes, if the customer's dns was not configured correctly.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Here you can do a search on websites belonging to this ip : http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/

I see that there are some .com.au domains hosted.
tlau
Engaged Sweeper
Unfortunately, I've search for all computer names and ip addresses in AD and DNS but came up empty. Attached is the screen shot of the mystery computer name and the only info it had gathered.
tlau
Engaged Sweeper
With regards to question 1:

Can't find any reference to the computer "All" in Active Directory. If lsclient sends only the hostname - All - to lansweeper, how does lansweeper pick up the ip address 210.56.82.31?

So far, lansweeper has picked up most of my machines and they are all AD machines with private ip addresses that are in the subnets we use.

Hence I'm puzzled as to how this particular machine with an external ip address got in.

Thanks.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
tlau wrote:
With regards to question 1:

Can't find any reference to the computer "All" in Active Directory. If lsclient sends only the hostname - All - to lansweeper, how does lansweeper pick up the ip address 210.56.82.31?

So far, lansweeper has picked up most of my machines and they are all AD machines with private ip addresses that are in the subnets we use.

Hence I'm puzzled as to how this particular machine with an external ip address got in.

Thanks.

Lansweeper looks up the machine name in active directory and searches for the fqdn.
Maybe the computername is (pc1) and the fqdn in active directory is : pc1.someinternetdomain.com
Or
PC1 resolves to 210.56.82.31 when looked up on your dns server.
tlau
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the reply.

1. will investigate further if any settings are wrong.

4. our thin clients don't run the login script. On startup, the user only has option to connect to a citrix server. After connecting, the lsclient then runs as part of the login script to the citrix server. So the thin client doesn't get picked up by lansweeper, the citrix server does. the thin clients are not part of AD.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
1) lsclient send it's hostname to the server, the servers looks up this name in active directory and tries to scan on fqdn,computername and IP. (so one of these settings must be wrong somewhere)
2) OS
3) Lsclient need to run to trigger the update
4) Should work, what is your exact problem?