cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sg_it
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

We are one of those unfortunate companies where our users keep everything in their own computer "my documents" folder. I want to remediate this by showing the business how much data we keep in our users computers but I want real data.

Is there a way to pull the size of "my documents" folder in the remote computers and present it in Lansweeper web console as part of the system details?

3 REPLIES 3
Salamine
Engaged Sweeper III
The only way I could see getting this data into lansweeper would be to create a start up script that would check the size of the my documents folder and write the size to a registry key. Then capture that key with custom registry scans.

Note: This isn't the best idea I've ever had since it will calculate the my documents size every time someone logs on and by your own admission those sizes could be large and therefor take a log time, but it will work.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2005/03/31/how-can-i-determine-the-size-of-the-my...

Const MY_DOCUMENTS = &H5&

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(MY_DOCUMENTS)
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.Self
strPath = objFolderItem.Path

Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath)
objShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Information\MyDocuments\FolderSize", objFolder.Size, "REG_SZ"

Modify last line of code to a registry key you want and set lansweeper to scan it.

-Sal
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
This is not currently possible. Lansweeper can currently only collect file sizes (of specific files), not folder sizes.
ghopkins58
Engaged Sweeper
sg_it wrote:
Hi,

We are one of those unfortunate companies where our users keep everything in their own computer "my documents" folder. I want to remediate this by showing the business how much data we keep in our users computers but I want real data.

Is there a way to pull the size of "my documents" folder in the remote computers and present it in Lansweeper web console as part of the system details?

We are asking the same question. Lansweeper Support, any ideas?